Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mixing really old blocks with new >

mixing really old blocks with new

mixing really old blocks with new

Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 AM

I'd do as GailG suggested as well, you'll be adding to the story of these blocks and the quilt as a whole. I hope you have fond family memories through each step of your project!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 AM

There are many shades of "ecru" ...go to fabric stores and take the blocks with you and see if you can get close for color. Trim the larger blocks to the same size as the smallest one. You can add borders to the block or to the fiished quilt top if you want to make it larger, or you could make more Dutch Girl blocks out of new fabric. This will be a keepsake so I wouldn't worry about how the old fabrics will last as you probably won't ue it much anyway. Finish it and enjoy it.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:06 AM

I believe they should be left as is. They are original and have memories attached. The difference in muslin color only adds to the 'mystique ' of these blocks. When you shop for background muslin, choose different shades of muslin to compliment the ones you already have. 'Treasureit' also has a good suggestion about using some complimentary solids for backgrounds. Please keep us posted.... p.s. 'Iclang' also has a good suggection
Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
What if you tea-dyed some muslin for the new background? Would that come closer to the original muslin? It would help to have a picture. I think your project is definitely worth pursuing.
I, too, right away thought of tea dying the muslin, but I'm thinking after the top is finished, washing it first to get the old muslin back as close as possible to it's original color, then tea dying the whole top, so all the muslin will blend together better? Before gently washing the top, I'd do stay-stitching around the entire edge.

I do really like the idea of using different shades of muslin and mixing in some solids as that, IMHO, would add lots of interest without having to change the original old blocks at all.

Before I trimmed the larger blocks down, I'd consider adding borders to the smaller ones to make them as large as the others. Perhaps using some of the different shades of muslin/solids for the borders.

Last edited by wildyard; 08-04-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 AM

I saw this pattern just today and you could use your blocks in the swirl, alternating with either a solid or scrappy pieced block as they show in the pattern.
http://www.favequilts.com/Quilts-For...quilts20140804

And if you wanted larger than a baby quilt, you could just use the swirl as a center panel and add borders up to the size you want.

Last edited by wildyard; 08-04-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:43 AM

I really like Gail's idea of cutting out the Sue and appliqueing to a sturdier piece of muslin. That way you would solve two problems, the fragile fabric and the difference in color, while still keeping your grandmother's work.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Dear quilt938,
You and your late mother have received much more than a gold wedding ring and quilt squares. You have something which money or quilt fabric can't buy... memories, love of family, pride, and respect ... even though you write of a dysfunctional family... who's isn't in some ways? Who cares?

If I were you:
* I'd place all the quilt squares in a mesh lingerie bag; gently machine wash and dry; or air dry and lightly press/iron with an ironing cloth to protect the appliques... even ironing from the reverse over a terry towel!
* I'd trim the newer white squares to match up with the older darker ones.
* I'd lay out the squares by alternating the unbleached with the white muslins.
* I'd add a solid colored thin(1"-2") sashing strips between blocks in rows and columns.
* Maybe add a coordinating border, no larger than 4 inches in width.
* Quilt by hand if you prefer. Add a binding.

If its delicate, perhaps don't use it as a utility quilt but as a display quilt and display it proudly for you, your children and their children... telling the "story" and instilling that love and those intangible gifts that you so treasure.

Prayers and blessings.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Could you Cut out the girl and put her on white muslin? if muslin is brittle it may not last to long.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Although I know you want to preserve your great grandmother's blocks in their original form, perhaps you might consider carefully cutting away the appliqued pieces and then appliqueing them on new muslin or whatever background you choose. If there are some really special blocks, perhaps you could put them in a frame and display them that way; and put the rest into a quilt. Just an idea. I think you are really fortunate to have these blocks, I know my mother made utilitarian quilts, which unfortunately, were used, used well and used up. The only thing I have of hers is a pair of pillowcases that she embroidered. She taught me to embroider when I was 6 years old and eventually taught me to sew simple aprons, skirts, etc., but I didn't use a pattern until high school Home Ec. class. I hope some of the ideas from the QB members help you. You should be proud that you have that wonderful memory of her.