Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mixing really old blocks with new >

mixing really old blocks with new

mixing really old blocks with new

Old 08-02-2014, 08:40 AM

Default mixing really old blocks with new

hello I'm still coming across a bunch of ufo's and asking for advice on settings and stuff so I can think on the responses.

I'm 47 and a few years before she passed my mom brought me the deteriorated paper grocery sack of my great grandma's little dutch girl quilt project (this was the 'special times can look through when growing up'. my mom finally started hand quilting cheaters a few years before she passed and had a sewing machine I remember her using when I was really really little so needless to say nothing was done but keep this in a closet all those years. I started quilting/piecing a little before 2001 and quit then started back in 2001 so she decided after I stuck with it 5 or 6 yrs I may as well have these blocks! well it dawned on my 'hey this was supposed to be MY baby quilt - that's why she gave it to you!'

ok so these aren't applique perfectionistic works of art but they're sentimental - I was named for this Great grandma and I'd like to see these finished. I did a couple of blocks that had been started - most I can see the stitching - thought basting stitches at first but think that was her applique- she passed away before I was born so not sure how sick she was at the time.

anyways the dutch girls aren't so much the problem - the muslin she used has darkened on some and is different sizes- there are some cut out dutch girls (I keep calling the sues but she called the dutch girl) I want to use but there is no more muslin from that project - it's like she cut them out but didn't have the background to put them on. There are maybe 8 finished blocks but I dont know if I should buy new muslin and do the other blocks and just mix them all in and buy sashing and backing/binding or what. there's more of a pink fabric and more big scraps. I'll try to get a picture later if I can find space to lay out the blocks (I'm at work now)

but has anyone here ever finished a project that was started over 50 yrs ago? I know this was originally for another baby but turned out to be a boy and he's at least 5 yrs older than me I'm sure - possibly more. for a while I had acouple of the blocks in a picture frame and unfortunately I thinka couple were lost in the move 14 yrs ago (or stolen by person helping me pack - I hate to think that of her but she was interested in a lot of stuff and some I never found after the move) but I have these others. thought about putting muslin under the other muslin when piecing just in case it starts to deteriorate...
Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

I wish you had posted a photo since it would really help with resolving your problem. The first thing is to make a plan with what you want to do with these blocks. Sometimes blocks are framed and distributed to family members who want to have a part of this relative. If they are simple appliques of Sue, could then they be removed carefully from the old muslin and then appliqued to a new square of muslin?? That is what I would most likely do. I would certainly make sure that you are buying the BEST quality of muslin that money can buy. No one in my immediate family ever did any quilting but a distance Great Aunt first exposed me to quilting. You are lucky to have these precious blocks. Good Luck !!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:56 AM

If you want to use the other girls...you will have to add some new fabric. So, what if you did the others on a complimentary solid color fabric and altered them with the old ones...sashing might be needed too and then you can easily know the ones you did and the old. Not sure how badly the old blocks are out of square, but hopefully you can find a size to cut them too without too much trouble.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 AM

What if you tea-dyed some muslin for the new background? Would that come closer to the original muslin? It would help to have a picture. I think your project is definitely worth pursuing.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:36 AM

thank you everyone. I will try to lay them out and get a photo with my ipad and see if I can get wifi to work. I think great grandma was probably using different muslin - they were poor and not likely to go hunting fabric for a quilt I don't think. one block is still at home but the others are with me. I hadn't thought about taking them off their muslin - kinda wanted to keep her stitching. I also haven't tried gently hand washing the blocks either. I should have made better not because I'm pretty sure a couple of the blocks I did myself about 6 yrs ago - I know it was before 2010 for sure - but didnt' know what to do with them so put them aside again. I had thought at the time I'd finish some and add sashing and cornerstones and get my mom to handquilt it but my mom passed up my dad's cancer with brain cancer and was gone before we could even absorb she was sick. I'm thinking I may try handquilting the finished top though I'm not great at it and barely finished the sampler table topper beginner class project that was hand quilted.

as for other family members I'm not going there. well I'm a great-grandchild- this woman had about 7 kids - they were all competitive/jealous except for maybe 1 who was the sweetest great-aunt ever - she passed about a month ago. the youngest gave my mother grief. my 2 female cousins (daughtes of my mom's brothers) might be interested but there aren't enough for 3 quilts and I haven't tried a pillow. I wish I had the ones I think were taken - I had pulled out 2 -4 that were nicer and finished. I don't know if they've even heard of Grandma Susie - I'm the oldest then my brother then 2 other siblings came along from my oldest uncle then 2 from the younger uncle. those 2 didn't know grandpa at all (grandma susie is my mom's father's mother..) and never seemed interested in knowing about him though mymom's brothers of course remember hima nd grandma susie. sometimes it's hard to feel anything for someone you never knew. I only feel a closeness because I know my mother loved this woman and kept her wedding ring(great grandpa divorced her) but that was the only material thing my mother got other than when she had given her this quilt to finish)
Old 08-02-2014, 12:11 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486026[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486028[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486029[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486030[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 PM

The 2 with the dark blue dresses have the darker smaller muslin. It also feels more brittle delicate than the other muslin. I think it ws added later maybe by my mom just not sure. There isn't any more of the muslin like the others I planned to hunt at hobby lobby or Joanns for some, maybe I should mix bleahed and I bleached ? Just dunno...the dark blue ones are for sure ones she did some of the others I think I applauded on because the thread mathes
Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 PM

Well, it looks like you have 2 sizes of blocks. What if you put boarders on the smaller ones to size up to the larger ones and alternate them.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Banned

Any reason you can't trim the larger blocks to fit?
Old 08-02-2014, 01:11 PM

I can trim or add borders- the smaller ones have darker and more brittle looking muslin than the others - the other muslin feels more supple/soft - the other isn't. wondering if I should put more muslin behind it just in case or as someone suggested earlier remove the applique and put on new muslin. just don't know. the difference in color/texture is a bit more obvious in person I think. or maybe add a newer muslin to the smaller darker muslin blocks to make them bigger?

squirrelfood that's a beautiful horse!