Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixing washed and unwashed cottons? >

Mixing washed and unwashed cottons?

Mixing washed and unwashed cottons?

Old 12-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Default Mixing washed and unwashed cottons?

I'm a dedicated pre-washer so ALL of my stash is washed when it enters the house. The only exception is pre-cuts, and I *normally* don't buy them for this reason.

This weekend I got 50% off a batik jelly roll at my LQS. Couldn't pass it up especially since husband has been bugging me to make him a "quick" quilt.

So I made the jelly roll quilt.

He wants it longer.

I have plenty of batiks in my stash that match that jelly roll, but of course they are all pre-washed. I would be adding six 2.5" strips to one end of the quilt top.

I'll be using W&N 100% cotton batting (unwashed) if that makes any difference. The quilting will probably just be an all over meander.

Should I do it? Is it a disaster waiting to happen? Remember, this is a home quilt for my husband to snuggle under in the chilly winter. It's not going anywhere!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM
RST

Go for it. I have mixed washed and unwashed occasionally, and nothing horrible happened.

My only caution would be re. color running, since batiks can sometimes be funny that way. Use a color catcher and go wild.

RST
Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 PM

I bookmarked this site as I have the same problem- some fabric washed some not.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

I think your only problem will be if the unwashed batiks run. Batiks have a tighter weave so are unlikely to shrink much. I wouldn't worry about it, but I agree with RST - use color catchers or Synthrapol in the wash.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Thanks .. and yes will take care with possible bleeders.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:23 PM

If you decide to wash the quilt top that's already together, pin it into an 18" square with safety pins and put it in a mesh bag (like for lingerie), then wash it on gentle cycle. Use a color catcher, of course. When you take it out of the washer, remove all the pins and dry it in the dryer. The dryer doesn't cause raveling like the washer does, so taking the pins out will be ok.

I did this for my nephews quilt and it worked fine. Was it necessary? Probably not.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:54 AM

As Dunster says, the fabric is unlikely to shrink much, but the dye may be your enemy, lol. Reds seem to be the worst offenders, but oranges can bleed a lot too. Colour catchers should solve your problem.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think your only problem will be if the unwashed batiks run. Batiks have a tighter weave so are unlikely to shrink much. I wouldn't worry about it, but I agree with RST - use color catchers or Synthrapol in the wash.
I agree here... just use color catchers. I can't imagine one fabric shrinking so much that is causes a problem once it has been quilted.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

As others have posted, batiks will not shrink. The process of making them basically preshrinks the fabric. The manufacturers have to submerge the fabric in very hot water to melt the wax. So batiks are essentially preshrunk. This is why they seem to have a tighter weave then most other fabrics. The only thing I would be concerned about is the possible bleed factor. But if you get some synthropol to do your first wash you can avert any possible issues there, provided you don't have one of those water saving front loader washing machines.

That said, even if it does bleed you said this was a knock around quilt for DH to use on the sofa so really no matter what, this is NOT a disaster waiting to happen. Even if the unwashed JR in the quilt bleeds.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:59 AM

Generally, I prefer not to mix washed and unwashed. However, I do make an exception with the precuts. Washing them can really distort the fabric and then they are hard to work with. I think you will be fine as long as you use a dye catcher in the wash when the quilt is finished.