Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda Backing material >

Moda Backing material

Moda Backing material

Old 11-26-2016, 04:24 AM

Smile Moda Backing material

Hi,

I am new to patchwork and quilting.

I bought some white Moda quilt backing material (108" wide) online thinking that I could
use it on the front and back of the quilt.

The cotton that arrived looks a bit rough in the sense that it is not smooth like other Moda fabrics and it has little bumps on it. Nothing terrible, it just looks like a cheaper rougher cotton than the cotton
you would get for the front of a quilt.

I was wondering:

Is Moda backing fabric generally a bit rougher/ more raw than the fabric they sell from the front of a quilt?

Would you ever use it for the front or is it better to but other Moda fabric sold for the front of quilts?

Also the name Moda wasn't stamped on the selvedge like their other fabrics. There is no writing on the selvedge.

Do they not stamp their name on their backing fabrics?

I would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks,

Sam.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. I've never purchased moda brand backing, but often wide backings are a slightly lower thread count than quilting cottons and have a different hand. Having said that, there's no reason why you can't use it for piecing. I do it all the time so the front has some matching patches with the backing. I'm a pre washer and have noticed that backing tends to shrink more than regular quilting cottons. To pre wash or not is a hot topic and a personal preference.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I would contact them and ask questions. perhaps they sent the wrong item and will replace it. They like to keep customers happy.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:01 AM

I agree with nativetexan. I think you should contact the place from whom you ordered it and ask your questions. I very surprised that the name Moda doesn't appear on the selvage.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 AM

I would hope the backing of a quilt, particularly a throw size, would be just as soft and cozy as the front, since the back will be next to the user. Strange to me that your purchase seems coarser and with bumps/slubs. Was the price almost too good to be true?
Old 11-26-2016, 10:43 AM

Call Moda and find out the charactaristics of their solid backing fabric. There is a chance your on-line store substituted a different brand of fabric to complete the order. (and charged you Moda brand pricing?)
Old 11-28-2016, 05:53 AM

I have never bought Moda backing but have bought a lot of 108" backing at LQS, Hobby Lobby, Fabric.com,etc. it has all been the same quality as the tops. I have used it several times for whole cloth quilts and it has been great. I would call Moda.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:30 PM

where did you buy the backing from?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:11 PM

The Moda Bella wide back I've bought is exactly the same as the regular. I had a big piece leftover & used it to cut up for piecing blocks.