Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda Bella cottons vs kona cottons. Which do you prefer? >

Moda Bella cottons vs kona cottons. Which do you prefer?

Moda Bella cottons vs kona cottons. Which do you prefer?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:38 AM

I prefer Moda to Kona due to the problem with bleeding I had with the Kona fabrics. As to fraying or shredding as you mentioned I starch my fabrics before I cut so that eliminates quite a bit of fraying.............at least for me. Of course I love onnecting Threads blender fabrics in lieu to solids but as they seem to fray quilt a bit at times, again I starch the heck out of them before hand. They also don't seem to bleed as much either.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:41 AM

I use a lot of Kona and Moda Bella solids. I usually buy whichever one has the colors I need and the lesser price. I do think the Kona is a littler heavier, coarser weave than the Moda Bella, but love them both.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 AM

Does black fabric and thread shed more lint or is it just more visible? What's your opinion?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

I prefer Bella. It seems smoother than Kona and has less problem with bleeding.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I had the same experience as Weezy Rider with Kona black. Cut sashing strips from it with my Go! and the ravelling at the edges was extreme. Decided to switch to Michael Miller black after that. I don't know about other Kona solid colors, as I was a little leery of trying them after my experience with the black. I have used Kona premium muslin with no problems, but the weave is not the same as the meatier solids.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:04 PM

I use solids in almost every quilt that I make. I use both Kona and Bella and have a pretty good stash of the two. I often mix both of them into a quilt. I also have Riley Blake and MM cotton couture solids in my stash. So you can see that I am not loyal to one company or another. If I am being totally honest, neither Kona or Bella are that great. They both have their issues. For me, it is that Kona frays alot and I have tension issues with quilting Bella. But if I had to choose between them, it would be Bella.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I think the Michael Miller cotton couture solids are far superior to both Kona and Bella. They have a higher thread count and are so silky. I don't know how the price compares.
I agree. M Miller black is extremely consistent. Not all blacks are consistent from bolt to bolt.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 PM

What do you mean by "shedding"?

Between Moda Bella and Kona, I prefer the Bella.

I've heard quite a few quilters rave about the Michael Miller and would like to try it for myself, but I haven't come across it yet locally.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:36 AM

I use a lot of Kona Snow and Kona White for my English Paper Piecing projects... yards and yards for a queen sized quilt. I don't feel that it frays at all. I 60 degree diamonds and never have a problem with fraying, even with all the handling required for EPP.

When I do use Kona black, I'm always surprised how much lint sticks to it.

Last edited by Kris P; 02-11-2016 at 04:38 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-11-2016, 05:03 AM

I've always used Kona because it can be bought at my nearest JoAnn's. However in my opinion it does fray a lot, but then again I never prewash to shrink and tighten the weave. Maybe I should think about doing that!!