Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda Fat 1/8's - a good idea? >

Moda Fat 1/8's - a good idea?

Moda Fat 1/8's - a good idea?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
As it is, I usually have so many leftovers/scraps from other projects, that deliberately buying small pieces of fabric would be very hard for me to do. Especially when the price per yard would be considerably more than the off-the-bolt price per yard.
Actually, the price isn't that much more than the off-the-bolt price per yard. 40 fat 8ths is 5 yards or $50 OTB. There's a small charge for variety and cutting, but not that great.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by newbiequilter
I have consistently found that all FQ packs are not cut at 18 x 22 - squaring them up will result in loss of fabric. If you try to square up a fat eighth, I would think it would be more frustrating.
I just found this to be very true for a set of FQ fabrics that were packaged as singles- the actual measurements were all over the place! Worse yet, once I washed them and ironed them true to the grain, many were cut on an odd angle, making them even more frustrating to work with. The FQ I have bought from Keepsake Quilter were all nicely cut, but these ones were bought from a local fabric store and I have been highly, highly disappointed with them. Newbiequilter is right, I think with a smaller piece, these irritations would be even more noticeable. Another note, the pieces I bought separately packaged often have a color streak where they weren't printed perfectly, and those imperfections didn't show from the outside.

If you are looking to do applicae, fat 1/8ths might give you a good feel to see if you want to buy more of several of those pieces, but really watch where you buy these from to insure QUALITY of the cuts!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 AM

I don't by bundles of FQ's or F8's, but I have been known to buy a 1/4 yd of a large grouping of a particular line I like just so I have a nice sampling. Half yard can get real expensive if you want to buy a little of most everything in a line. I'm a collector. However, I can work the 9X42 pieces into some sort of throw quilt with some additional fabric for borders and backing.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 AM

Well, I just love all of you who buy yardage off of the bolt! I usually get my best scraps from my friends who do so. A couple of things that you have to remember is that those of us who buy precuts or fat quarters, or 1/8's are lovers of variety or scrappy quilts. If precuts were not available (and I remember a time when they were not), I would have to buy 40 half-yard cuts (because most shops wont sell cuts less than that) just to get a ''taste'' of each one. Then, I would have too much left over; whereas, if I buy a layer cake, for example, I am only spending 35 dollars and getting exactly the amount that I want of each fabric. Not to mention that there are few shops that purchase a whole line of a design. I would have to buy fabric from 20 different shops to get each one of the fabrics in the line. Last, (and you are going to love this one) Those of us who buy precuts, do so knowing that were are spending a little more per yard (fat quarter bundles run about 110 dollars these days) This helps the fabric companies keep the bolt yardage price down, well, somewhat ;). The funny thing is, many times, fat quarters are way too big for me to work with.