Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Modern Quilt Movement >

Modern Quilt Movement

Modern Quilt Movement

Old 08-18-2011, 05:05 PM

I love the traditional patterns. I just don't care for the "modern" look in quilting. To each his/her own though. :)
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Quilting is like all art forms. There is room for everyone. I will like some things and not like some things, but in the end we are all quilters. If we all liked the same things, life would get pretty dull.

Personally, most super modern things are not for me. I'm a traditional girl, but I still respect the work and creativity that goes into the quilt.
I totally agree. I'm more of a traditional gal too.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 PM

As the saying goes "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
I'm straddling the line myself. I love the modern quilts, and have also enjoyed making the traditional quilts. I've found that many of my projects are now a blend of both.

Usually - my quilts are gifts so I use the process that fits the receiver.
Agreed- I learned traditional piecing but have always considered myself an artist. So I like being able to instill some art in some of my quilts. I must say though, that the whole process of deciding on a pattern, picking the fabric, and deciding where to put what always has felt very creative to me.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
I'm straddling the line myself. I love the modern quilts, and have also enjoyed making the traditional quilts. I've found that many of my projects are now a blend of both.

Usually - my quilts are gifts so I use the process that fits the receiver.
I'm with Theresa. I do both. But like all arts (quilting is an art), there are quilts I just don't care for both in the modern quilts and the traditional.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 PM

I'm not seeing many that I like. Most of the pattrens in the magazines are just too "muddy" that is, all the colors are about the same and they just run together. The patterns are mostly something you can dream up yourself and that is what I often do. I'm really not an "artsy" quilt person.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM

I'm pretty much of a traditionalist but sometimes make uncoventional quilts which I guess could be called modern. I admire some of the art quilts I've seen but have neither the imagination nor the talent to make one. As for the Gees Bend quilts, at the risk of offending some board members, I think they're the ugliest things I've ever seen. I realize the makers used what they had but to call these quilts masterpieces is an abomination.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by JADE D
I'm pretty much of a traditionalist but sometimes make uncoventional quilts which I guess could be called modern. I admire some of the art quilts I've seen but have neither the imagination nor the talent to make one. As for the Gees Bend quilts, at the risk of offending some board members, I think they're the ugliest things I've ever seen. I realize the makers used what they had but to call these quilts masterpieces is an abomination.
I would call them utility quilts. I define a utility quilt as needing a quilt so you just what you have together in order to keep warm.

I do not care for them as art and I think they are rather ugly. But if they kept me warm I wouldn't complain. There is nothing wrong with any quilt that is made to do it's purpose but not all quilts are art.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:48 PM

I love it. I think it makes all of us "stretch" our talents. Just like the quilting pioneers, we are all pioneers that keep it moving. The foundation is the same, but we all build our own layers. We create our own piece of art to express ourselves. It's good to see all of the hand arts returning; quilting, knitting, papercrafting, etc. Each person has their own perception of what art is!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 PM

I take it quilt by quilt.