Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Modern quilt patterns? >

Modern quilt patterns?

Modern quilt patterns?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Banned

Does anyone have any recommendations (books, pattern sites, whatever) for more modern looking quilt designs? When I say that, I mean stuff that breaks from the traditional block pattern. I have a family member that has requested a non-traditional looking quilt (Quote: "None of that country-crafty look, please!")
Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Quilter's Warehouse has thousands of patterns of all types. Here's the link http://www.quilterswarehouse.com/s-1...-patterns.aspx

You can also check your local library. I live in a small community, but they have tons of quilting books at mine!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 AM

obviously :? your family member does not quilt! LOL
I do traditional quilt blocks because the color and angles are what drew me to the craft. Modern colors (hot pink, apple green, neon blue) dramatically changes the look of a traditional block. A traditional quilt can be changed by using fabrics that feature subject matters not associated with "folksy" venue.
it is a given that I probably don't have a clue of where you would go to find what is being requested, but there are numerous books at your local quilt shop that can lead you down the path. And, I know for a fact that there are many quilters in this forum who venture the unknown area of "modern".
Check out a discussion of Art Nouveau on this thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/26703.page

Good luck! <wave>
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I agree with Omak that contemporary fabric choices can bring some of the more traditional patterns bang up to date. But for something different, how about a One Block Wonder? :D
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 AM

A bargello quilt would work. It doesn't have a single block in it! There are a whole bunch of bargello designs now too.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:31 AM

I'm kinda new to quilting, and I love the french braids. I'm not sure if they're considered traditional or not, but I love the look of them and would consider them less traditional than a lot of quilt patterns. Its on my long list of "to do's" one of these days!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 AM

Check you local library for these two books.

"The Modern Quilt Workshop: Patterns, Techniques, and Designs from the Funquilts Studio" by by Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle
"Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects" by Denyse Schmidt
You can also check her website http://www.dsquilts.com/ for insperation!

I love both of these books for "modern" patterns!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM

Our library has a great book and of course I can't remember the exact name right now but it has Patchwork in the title. The book has a section on non-traditional quilts. There is one called a Modern Grandmother's flower garden. Basically, there are various sized templates of a flower. Sort of a five petal generic flower. They have cut assorted flowers from all kinds of wild fabrics and appliqued it to a piece of cloth. The whole bed is covered with these crazy overlapping flowers. It is totally not my taste, yet somehow, I like it. I'd say the same technique could be applied to any geometric shape and make the quilt even more modern.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 AM

Absolutely beautiful.

Pat
Old 10-22-2009, 04:15 PM

Rivka, your family member sounds just like my daughter! lol!!!!
Here's a picture of the one I did for her, I kind of copied one of her couch pillows! That way I knew she'd have to like it, as she loved her piillows! lol!!! And she does love it, it's on her couch. :D
There's been several similar ones that's been posted too recently.
:D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5990.jpe