Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mom's quilts >

Mom's quilts

Mom's quilts

Old 08-01-2015, 04:01 PM

They are lovely and I hope you find them a good home.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:53 AM

Those are beautiful. There is a quilt museum in Paducah that would take them but if those were mine I would enjoy them as long as I was able. Then will them or send them to the museum. Definitely label them with all you know about them.

Thanks for sharing their pictures. I so love seeing old quilts. Those are the style I love to make...30's !

Last edited by luvstoquilt; 08-02-2015 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

I don't have anyone to pass my quilts onto so they are going to friends who will love and treasure them.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:11 AM

Great quilts! And so wonderful that you have them to enjoy. I don't have any quilters in my family so if I had quilts from a loved one I would treasure them and display them. I do hope that you give them a proper label and share them where they could be enjoyed the most. Sending them back to her home town when the time comes is a nice idea! Enjoy them as long as you can.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:42 AM

They are beautiful Display them. If you have no children, do either of you have relatives that would like them
Old 08-03-2015, 04:55 AM

Whatever you do with them PLEASE label them with any information you know about them. I have a sunburst quilt from my Mom. It was a shower gift given to her and made by a lady in our church. There is no label and I have no idea who this lady could possibly be. (I've asked everyone) It was made in the 30's. I'm sure my Mom must have told me at one point but I never documented it and now I'm really sorry I didn't.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Keep them! You will regret it later if you don't.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Yes- keep them out of he sun; you don't want them to fade. If you need a daughter or a sister or someone, I'm available. Just letme know. I have children. but will never have grandchildren; however. I do have about 102 niece and nephews. WOW. Love it, exceptI do worry about them after we will be gone. Dodee
Old 08-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by bennie0755 View Post
My DMIL made these back in the 30s and 40s. The pink one is signed and dated Feb 1, 1933. Personally my favorite is the crazy quilt. It is all done with wool and velvet and corduroy. Mom was from Minnesota and they are WAY too heavy for where I live in Texas. The question is now what do I do with them? We have no children or anyone to pass them down to.
I would keep them and make the labels and put all info for them. Then display and enjoy them in your home until your ready to give them up. But I agree that they should be sent back to where your MIL was from and where they were maid to a Historical Soc. there. Or to the Quilt Museum in Paducah Ky.
They'really All Beautiful.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:27 AM

They are beautiful. I'm not usually a fan of crazy quilts but this one I love! In addition to the good suggestions others have made, you could consider auctioning them off and donating the proceeds to a nonprofit organization that was or would have been close to her heart. Or cancer research, especially ovarian, which is so under-funded and kills so many women. I also like the idea of donating it to a museum or historical society in the area where she created them.