Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it??? >

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it???

Old 01-06-2012, 01:53 PM

I have never smoked or indulged in alcohol, and have justified my sewing by this. Although, my DH says it may be cheaper if I did!!! I have been a sew-a -holic all my life and sewing has really been my sanity many times. There have also been many times when I could not have afforded to buy any fabric. We have worked hard, raised a family, helped them financially, our bills are paid on time, my pantry always stocked, so I have no guilt in buying fabric to make quilts and projects I love. I really shudder to think how many $$$'s spent I have in my sewing room.

After all, in this life we can only live, so I say live it to the best you can for we can't take anything out of this world when out time comes. We are only custodians of all we acquire, so we are paying dear rent for it all. That's my view on this subject.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:50 PM

I don't - it would make me sick!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:14 PM

A lot of you say that quilting is cheaper than therapy. How many of you would say it is cheaper than a divorce lawyer?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 PM

I just have to say that a lady at a quilt guild mtg. a few yrs. ago told me that when she buys something at JoAnn's, Hancock or a LQS, she writes the name of a grocery store on her checkbook record, so that her husband would think she bought groceries instead of fabric or notions if he were to look at the checkbook. I think they just used one checkbook. That is how she didn't have to account to him for how much she spent on quilting supplies.
Kathy
Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM

If it's a hobby, just enjoy it. Don't keep track of every dollar spent because it'll make you sick. Perhaps a monthly budget would be okay but don't keep a running total.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:21 PM

My position is this: I buy all I can afford now, because when I retire I won't have the money!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

to be completely honest: I need a support group. I mean "another" one. This board already has supported my indulges in the past.
Now I need brakes! I'm working on it and getting a grip...if only I can hold on!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm a simple gal. I don't go to the hair salon every week. And, I don't get my nails done. I don't buy expensive clothes. In fact, my clothes shopping is very limited. I raise and freeze and can a lot of our foods. I cook at home and we watch TV instead of going to the movies. So, I don't feel guilty over the money I spend for fabric. In fact, I think I've kinda earned it. hehehee!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

to whom do I have to account? Hopefully no one since I pay the bills now. But now I'm not working and can't buy much anyway. So it's almost a moot point!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 PM

I do not smoke, drink or gamble. I worked hard from age 16 to 68. so now I do not feel the least bit guilty about anything I spend on my latest hobby. I don't go overboard and spend beyond my means, but I see no reason what so ever to keep track. Stop fussing, and enjoy. that's what I am doing......smile