Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget?? >

Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget??

Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget??

Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I have an allowance of $200/month. It is to cover everything personal, including haircuts, magazines, books, classes, paper, fabric etc... Sometimes it's gone on the 1st of the month!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 AM

I only pay cash, and only buy something if I HAVE to have to complete a project. I try to wait for sales and coupons. If my money is needed elsewhere that month then I don't get any fabric/supplies.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

What some people have done for awhile -

Write down every single penny spent - and then evaluate what $ went where.

It's kind of shocking sometimes when one goes over one's expenditures with a "is this really necessary?" eye.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:09 AM

$50 a month for hobbies is all I can budget for now. We are in the process of becoming debt free. We should make it be Christmas! When the Sewing Guild went on a shopping tripping I did take along $75 not including lunch, that is a separate envelope!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Depending on what is going on that month (like having to get the kiddo ready for school) depends on what I buy. I am saving for a new sewing machine so everytime I use my allowance I keep in mind "could I save it for the machine or get instant gratification now??" I do buy what I need and always say to myself--when will I use this?? The shop hops are killing me with all the new discoveries I have been making--LOL
Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
I limit myself to 100.00 a month. When I go shopping I don't take credit/debit cards that way I don't over spend. And I wait for the sales and coupons. I keep the money in a separate coin purse and what I don't spend goes to next months purchases. That way I hopefully have extra by time the quilt show is here since there is always so much I want there. If I buy online I put that receipt in the coin purse and take out the money and put it toward the card I used online. Just my little game I play with myself helps to keep credit cards down also.
I like this, just blew my whole budget this month, going to do this come Sept 1, thanks for sharing
Old 08-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Don't have a buget for fabric / quilting. BUT I only buy for specific projects - no stash building. And right now the projects are lined up deeper than I'm comfortable.

So, it goes in ebbs and flows.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:50 PM

We pay our credit cards off every month. My problem is depression - I find it hard to go out of the house, unless someone goes with me. Hence, I seem to buy more fabric online, which can become dangerous.....
Old 08-20-2011, 04:13 PM

$50 per month but if I'm making gifts, I buy what I need.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
I limit myself to 100.00 a month. When I go shopping I don't take credit/debit cards that way I don't over spend. And I wait for the sales and coupons. I keep the money in a separate coin purse and what I don't spend goes to next months purchases. That way I hopefully have extra by time the quilt show is here since there is always so much I want there. If I buy online I put that receipt in the coin purse and take out the money and put it toward the card I used online. Just my little game I play with myself helps to keep credit cards down also.
This is a wonderful idea. I think I want to try it to. But what I really need to do is not buy another piece of fabric until January. Maybe I will get caught up on the projects I have stuff for in my closet!