Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moratorium on Fabric Spending >

Moratorium on Fabric Spending

Moratorium on Fabric Spending

Old 08-02-2012, 04:26 PM

I forgot to add that to help myself I choose not to go on Shop Hops. Then LQS had bolts of 4dallor fabric for sale to clear her inventory, I didn't go. My friends spent big bucks. I have been taking classes with any extra money. That helps me feel that I am treating myself with an aim to improve my skill.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:28 PM

I moved recently and I'm in the process of organizing my stash. Never realized I had soooooooo much. My DH says I could open a store. It's also hard to organize when there's so much. It has really slowed down my purchases. I fell off the wagon earlier this week when I saw fabric on sale for a third of what I paid for it. I only purchased 8 yards.....
Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by charhend View Post
If Connecting Threads would stop sending e-mails about their sales I might be able to stop buying!
I KNOW, I saw that email this morning and instantly thought of this thread.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:41 PM

I have not done a complete moratorium, but my purchasing has decreased significantly. Primarily I'm getting that one fabric that I need to finish a project...you know the one that there's just not the right one there (or if there is some, it's not enough). I have picked up a few clearance items and an impulse buy or two here on the board. And a couple of pieces that just screamed a particular person's name...
Old 08-02-2012, 04:50 PM

lol I think you came to The Quilters Workshop the day it ended !!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:32 PM

I started organizing my stash, and like many others have said, was shocked. I pulled the bright batiks (just the brights) and made a king, 2 queen and 1 twin sized quilt--still have fabric left. I only bought a couple 1/4 yards to add variety to the second queen and some additional WoW. I have now pulled the blues. I have made a twin and am working on a Dresden plate. I also broke down and bought batting. With all the white in quilts, the natural batting was not right.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Jim

I havent bought fabric...without a purpose...for well over a year now...I have a HUGE stash and only buy anything I need now if on sale or with a coupon. I have saved a ton of money by NOT buying any that I wanted without a purpose. I have become more frugal(if that's possible). I coupon on everything...my groceries and fabric especially. A woman and her husband who were behind me in the grocery lane yesterday commented they had never seen a man who shopped so well and organized. Everything I bought was on sale except a few meat items and had coupons for almost everything. When I started using coupons my grocery bills dropped 40 to 60%. Items go on sale in 3 months increments and I buy enough to last that long. As for fabric I have enough to last for 30 years...I made 8 quilts for Christmas gifts last year...all from my stash. Only fabric I buy right now is for my 30s collection and I only buy 1/4 yard at a time. BTW...Yesterday my groceries for the month before coupons came to $244.00. I paid $111.00
Old 08-03-2012, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by charhend View Post
If Connecting Threads would stop sending e-mails about their sales I might be able to stop buying! Yesterday I spent $183.00 on their Mirage fabric for backings. On sale for $2.96 per yard. I purchased enough for seven quilts. I also bought some for other projects. I think that will be it for a long while.
Oh, don't I know it! Who in their right mind could pass up those Mirages?!? Not I! They are beyond yummy! And at under $3??? You can't buy muslin that cheap!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by connietoo View Post
I was forced to stop buying when we retired and are now on Social Security. BUT.....I had been buying kits and fabric for years and years!! Now I am going back to what I have and its like Christmas! I call it my savings account that I can finally tap into !! LOL Some of my kits are so old they call for templates!
I was just thinking about all the kits I have stashed in my stash earlier today. I need to get to making some of them. The nice thing about having so much fabric, when you "discover" some that you'd forgot you bought! But then you run across the piece that makes you say "What in the world was I thinking???"... LOL!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 AM

I have drastically reduced my purchases but it seems you always need that one color you don't have in your stash. I can't cut down much more, shop sales only, mostly discount stores, don't order on line, never in large quantities, you can only cut down so much. But I could make quilts for more years than I have left just from the scraps I have stashed in one closet!!