Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moratorium on Fabric Spending >

Moratorium on Fabric Spending

Moratorium on Fabric Spending

Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 PM

Smile

Proud to report that I am going on THREE years without buying fabric unless I need it for a commission and then, I get reimbursed. My stash is still tremendous but I can notice that it is, indeed, smaller. I think I've made about 40 quilts in this time though a few of those are scrap quilts. I save anything larger than 2-1/2" square or any strips longer than 6-1/2" and at least 1" wide. I am so torn between reducing my scrap pile and reducing my stash. Such a problem, eh?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Alas, my will power will be tempted tomorrow though. My friend from Florida is coming to stay for a couple of days. I taught him how to sew and quilt a couple of years ago and haven't seen him for that long. I want to take him to my LQS as he has never been to it. He too is afflicted with the fabric buying disease. I will do my best to remain strong!!
Perhaps you could have your friend shop the "LQS" that is your stash first! ;-)
Old 07-31-2012, 03:19 PM

Good for you!!! It is so hard to get out of the habit of buying fabric. I plan to go on a moratorium for 2 years starting Nov 1. The only purchases will be for binding, background and finishing. I decided to even give a rest on my quilt shop's guild for a year - too much temptation. The hardest part, actually, will be avoiding swaps. I love swaps, but I rarely have the required fabric for it. My reasons aren't just stash reduction - I have plenty of projects that I bought fabric for already, and simply have to get to work on them. I have 6 BOMs that I haven't finished. Fabric for at least 6 oriental fabric quilts.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 PM

IamCatOwned, if I told you how many projects I have fabric for, you'd fall over. I gave up swaps several years back because I never found time to make them into quilts. I just pulled one block I received about 10 years ago out, added triangles all around it to enlarge it and set it on point, and am using it on a small project. Now, what to do about the other umpteen blocks...
Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM

I went on the fabric wagon in October 2001. It was all part of doing FlyLady, and a huge wake up call about how much I was mindlessly spending. Our future actually, not to put too fine a point on it.

In the beginning when I needed to go in a quilt shop for spray baste or a ruler the smell of the fabric was overwhelming, the need to fondle and buy showed me what an addiction it was.

One thing I read in Mary Hunt's book Debt Proof Living really stuck with me and it applies to dish soap, books, fabric, everything. "You haven't bought something on sale unless you put what you actually saved in your savings account on the way home. Otherwise, you've simply spent money." Truer words were never spoken...

Families don't have a clue what to do with stash when it comes to an estate. They will give it away or sell it in a garage sale for .50 cents a pound.

fortunately I've always loved what I bought so using my stash is a pleasure. It is also a growth experience because once you decide to make your fabric work your quilts get a Whole lot more interesting. For my backs I use fairly simple patterns but they are all pieced too. Makes double sided quilts, 2 for the price of 1, and with the simpler backs the quilting is featured when that side is up.

Keep up the good work!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 PM

Gave up that crazy notion years ago when I went to the fabric store on Jan 2nd to buy thread..... then walked into a thrift store where some quilter had just brought in some of her stash. I left the store with a huge bag full of FQ's for $12.00 .... I need an intervention...

Carole
Old 07-31-2012, 04:42 PM

I make the moratorium promise every time I buy. Just went to anniversary sale at LQS only to get backing for newly finished quilt top That fabric only cost $21.98 for 6 yards of Bernatex However I spent over $130.00 while I was there. The only bonus to that is when I tallied up all the cost of what I got it came to over $500.00 worth of fabric and patterns!!!!! I had buyers remorse for about.......30 minutes until I got home and stashed everything before DH got home!!!!LOL
Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 PM

I was going to write, smugly, that I only buy fabric when it is on sale...but then I read KalamaQuilts thought-provoking post and realized I need to rethink my strategy. Thanks for the reality check! I have been lucky enough to get commissions (quilts and other odds and ends) to pay for my habit over the years, but I think I definitely need to step away from the online stores and head to my closet!

*goes off muttering to stare at her stash*

Alison

PS Is there a QB contest/challenge for quilts only made from stash fabric? Or with some set maximum amount of fabric that can be purchased? I'm thinking that would be an excellent way to encourage each other...
Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 PM

I put myself on a moratorium on July 11, a mere 20 days ago. It is so very hard to do. I shifted focus to a goal of making 150 miniature blocks of varied designs, all from my stash. This way, I am touching and coordinating all kinds of fabric and making something out of it, even just a 4.5" block.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:10 PM

I am also working from my stash, I buy only if I must to finish something but it really is a small purchase. The only big item this year was batting. I was totally out