Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More Bargello advice, please.... >

More Bargello advice, please....

More Bargello advice, please....

Old 04-02-2014, 01:13 PM

I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into the works and tell you that there is a 3rd option ... continue in a straight line. Either for the remainder of the quilt, or just for a while then throw some more curves in.

Just saying you don't have to limit yourself to only up OR down ... sometimes sideways is the right answer.

I don't have it, nor do I have a pic ... but I did one (a small wall hanging) that had a few up's and downs on the left side then I carried on straight across and had one final very sharp blip up at the right side end. I called it "sign of life" and gave it to a anesthesiologist friend.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

What did you have in mind? Just a simple Bargello pattern??? This is my quilt that was published on the back cover of a book. Took First place ribbon at the California State fair. It is just the traditional Bargello with the peaks and curves. There are names for those part of the bargello pattern but having a senior moment I can't remember them right now. I always prefer even number of fabrics since I press my seams down and the next one up. That way, the seams always butt nicely up next to each other.
Attached Thumbnails back-bargello-w-fabric.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
What did you have in mind? Just a simple Bargello pattern??? This is my quilt that was published on the back cover of a book. Took First place ribbon at the California State fair. It is just the traditional Bargello with the peaks and curves. There are names for those part of the bargello pattern but having a senior moment I can't remember them right now. I always prefer even number of fabrics since I press my seams down and the next one up. That way, the seams always butt nicely up next to each other.
Beautiful quilt!!!! Wow! I am not sure what I have in mind, but deeper "valleys" I think. Yes, I now understand why even number of fabrics are preferred. That is sure what I will do from now on.

Dina
Old 04-02-2014, 09:52 PM

This is what I would like to make for my son, but the pattern scares me to death. These are his favorite colors along with a little blue and sometimes black- his words.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
This is what I would like to make for my son, but the pattern scares me to death. These are his favorite colors along with a little blue and sometimes black- his words.
It really isn't that hard. It is just a matter of following the instructions very carefully, labeling the different strips, ironing seams the right way, and sewing a straight line. I made my first one in November, starting with a place mat sized one just to learn the technique. I promise, if I can do it, anyone can. Selecting the fabric is actually the hardest part.

I really made this one a challenge though since I am not following a pattern. Google Bargello patterns or buy a book for good instructions and you will do fine. AND ask questions every step of the way, like I did. There is a lot of help on this board.

Give it a try. You can do it.

Dina
Old 04-03-2014, 05:50 AM

I would continue down some more. If you start your "ups" now, your peaks won't be very "peaky" and in a large quilt, you will have what I think might be too many reversals.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 AM

My kind of girl -- feel the urge and jump right in. First jump and color choices = superb start. Googling and a visit to pinterest might snag you some more design options. Do keeps us posted because this is really worth watching and whatever your choice, its guaranteed to be a success.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
First, I really like your fabric choices....a very smooth transition from cream to brown. Since you are kind of winging it, I would take a few colored pencils or markers and draw on paper a few different patterns. That way you can put the ups and downs in various places that you think will look good...a swoop up here or a down there. This will give you a truly unique bargello as well as one that suits you to a T.
I think this is good advice. Then you would know where you are going before you got there. Less frog sewing!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by WandaVA View Post
I think I would go down...and then up again. Your colors are wonderful!! I can't wait to see pictures of the finished quilt.
I agree with this too. That's going to be one gorgeous quilt - love it, love it.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post

Beautiful quilt!

This is what I would suggest you do in finishing the quilt you have started. The scalloped effect is perfect.