Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
more hand quilting help...hopefully new questions >

more hand quilting help...hopefully new questions

more hand quilting help...hopefully new questions

Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 AM

I have read thru TONS of previous posts on this board about hand quilting, but alas my question was not answered :). Would one of you hand quilters be so kind as to post a pic of how you hold your hoop when quilting? I just can't seem to figure out how to hold the hoop and still quilt. When I rest it on my underhand arm, my fingers want to push the fabric up, which of course makes it too tight for the rocking stitch. Maybe I am too "tense" when trying to quilt and just not relaxing and enjoying to process. Of course, the rocking thing is kinda hard to get the hang of, and while I understand how to do it, actually doing it is difficult still. I know that will improve w/time.

Also, for those that are hoopless, do you just reach under and work as if you were holding a hoop? I looked at a tutorial/blog that I saw posted here somewhere and she holds the quilt between her thumb and index finger but that makes my hand hurt! So, in reading some of the previous posts reguarding this I started thinking I could just lay the quilt over my lap, reach my under hand under and go from there?!? Maybe a pic of that would be great too :)!!!

So, I think these are new questions and I hope someone is able to help me. I really want to get comfortable w/the hand quilting process, but w/noone live and in person to help me it makes it a bit slower.

Thanks so much!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 AM

I think it helps when you are learning at first to have something besides just your left arm to support the hoop and keep it from drooping away from you while you quilt. When I started out I would put a wooden TV tray in front of my chair and sat where the tray would sort of catch the weight of the hoop and support it to give my arm a little freedom to maneuver. After a while, I was able to do it without the tray. Unfortunately, this is something you have to find your own "feel" with. If you are still having trouble with the rocking motion, it's perfectly okay to do the stick and stab method, which is basically one stitch at a time, for a bit. I was in the middle of a group of older veteran quilters when I first tried my hand at quilting. I had no clue what to do, no one offered any help and I was too shy to ask and too embarrassed to let them see I didn't have a clue. So I did one stitch at a time. After a session or two of this, I was getting impatient and eager to "get on with it," and the rocking method started to feel more do-able when I tried it again. Each session just got a little easier, and it will for you, too. Sometimes I think we just try to hard in the beginning. It takes practice and we just have to let it evolve. Didn't mean to write a book; hope this helps in some way.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I avoid the whole hoop-holding question by using a lap hoop. Here is a picture of the one I love:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...APTOP-HOOP.htm

It sits in my lap so both hands are free for the rocking motion.

Are you hooping your quilt loosely? I was told to have about a fist-width of "give" in the hoop. Beginning quilters often think the quilt is supposed to be drum-tight.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I avoid the whole hoop-holding question by using a lap hoop. Here is a picture of the one I love:

Are you hooping your quilt loosely? I was told to have about a fist-width of "give" in the hoop. Beginning quilters often think the quilt is supposed to be drum-tight.

I have not tried the lap hoop, have wondered if I would like it. I do have the fabric loose in the hoop, I think a lot of the problem w/rocking is just getting the hang of it in general. Oh, I hve tried a floor frame to, the PVC type, but did not like it that well.

Thanks for the link...going to look at it right now!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
When I rest it on my underhand arm, my fingers want to push the fabric up, which of course makes it too tight for the rocking stitch.
I second the suggestion to rest the quilt on something else while you're learning to get the knack of it. I use a floor frame, but sometimes my underhand finger still pushes up too much - I wonder why I'm not making a good stitch and then realize that I'm really tense, and my bottom hand is pushing too much. So relaxing my shoulders a bit helps, too.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 PM

I was having trouble at first and this was my reason. I'm used to cross stitching, where you stretch the fabric within an inch of its life. Apparently with a quilt, it's supposed to be loose. Who knew? That helped me, since I wasn't fighting the quilt as much, so I was able to hold the frame.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Banned

what size hoop are you using
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM

I used to hold the hoop in one hand --very awkward--and it ended up being practically vertical to my quilting hand. Then I got a hoop that sits on your lap and it's very level--it made a big difference for me. Also occassionally, I'll quilt without a hoop and, yes, my hand starts to hurt. Then I'll release all the bunched up quilt and just hold a bit of the sandwich nearest to where I'm quilting. I saw Suzanne Marshall demonstrate that technique on The Quilt Show.
Quite frankly, I'm starting to think about learning to machine quilt 'cause my hands are suffering.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM

I almost never use a hoop, I hand baste , then lay it across the table with my left hand underneath, I pull it on to my lap as I go..
Maybe one day I'll even learn to use a thimble.......
Old 07-29-2010, 02:30 PM

I would love to have one of these. I quilt without a hoop and, yes, it hurts my hand too but right now I cannot get the hang of doing it any other way. I purchased a standing hoop at the Goodwill last weekend (for $5) and am going to try it on my next quilt. Keep trying different things, don't give up!!!