Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More iron troubles--the steam button is stuck down >

More iron troubles--the steam button is stuck down

More iron troubles--the steam button is stuck down

Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM

Is there a dial to control the amount of steam next to the button? Mine has that, and I have to turn it around a bit while pushing on the button to get it to release.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Banned

BB, do you use only distilled water in your irons? You should. It's the mineral deposits that make them start to sputter and clog and stop working. It's possible that there was a buildup in the button assembly. I've got a Krups (cost $100 in 1994, but it's still in PERFECT working order). I can personally recommend Krups brand of anything to anyone.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
BB, do you use only distilled water in your irons? You should. It's the mineral deposits that make them start to sputter and clog and stop working. It's possible that there was a buildup in the button assembly. I've got a Krups (cost $100 in 1994, but it's still in PERFECT working order). I can personally recommend Krups brand of anything to anyone.
I think it now depends on the iron. My friend just bought a Rowenta and it says do NOT use distilled water. She has to use spring water in hers! I had never heard of such a thing.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzsooz
I think it now depends on the iron. My friend just bought a Rowenta and it says do NOT use distilled water. She has to use spring water in hers! I had never heard of such a thing.
Yeah? Well it sounds like Rowenta wants to sell irons to me! I would still use distilled water unless they could give me a really good scientific explanation!!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 PM

I've used Rowenta irons for many years; distilled water has always been a "no-no" for their irons, although the Rowenta pressure iron and steamer booklet says that if I use tap water, which is harder than 12 grains (who knows????), they recommend mixing half tap water and half distilled to reduce the hardness. They go on to recommend using bottled spring water entirely, but "NEVER use 100% distilled water as this can cause the iron to spit and leak."
Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by weezie
I've used Rowenta irons for many years; distilled water has always been a "no-no" for their irons, although the Rowenta pressure iron and steamer booklet says that if I use tap water, which is harder than 12 grains (who knows????), they recommend mixing half tap water and half distilled to reduce the hardness. They go on to recommend using bottled spring water entirely, but "NEVER use 100% distilled water as this can cause the iron to spit and leak."
O
I still say I want a scientific explanation. Distilled water is pure with no mineral deposits, and it is the build up of these deposits that make the irons spit and leak. It is kind of like saying that you should eat pickles if you have high blood pressure. It makes no sense. I think it is a ploy to sell more irons.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 AM

I agree with you Gai, but the directions said to not use it--or maybe it was it's not needed. We have hard water, but jeepers--I've not had it for even 3 months! The button next to it is to send water out front and it's fine. I'm afriad I can't do anything but use it--then toss it.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Banned

Karla, if it is only three months old, take it back to where you got it and demand a full refund or a replacement!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:35 AM

But--since my irons have lasted years before--I didn't save the box...and maybe not the receipt. I have to look. It was a cheap one... but good grief. Coffee makers.... irons... grrrrr.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

this is why i never put water into my irons no matter what they say, or how much they cost. if i want steam i keep a spray bottle on the ironing board and can spritz at any time without worrying about what the iron will do now. if the iron still heats the way i like and is good other than the stuck button i would empty any water that may be in it, fill a spray bottle for steam and just keep using the iron until it doesn't heat any longer. (unless it can be returned of course)