Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: more on muslin...

Blog Entries

more on muslin...

i loved looking at all the quilts with muslin! here's a question...what type/brand of muslin do YOU buy...and do you prewash? also...if you do prewash your muslin...do you prewash ALL of your fabrics, or just a muslin washer??

Betsey

I buy Roc Lon 403 and 404 ( bleached and Un bleached) its permanent press and pre- shrunk. The perm /press really does diminish the incredible amount of wrinking you get with some muslin. It does still have some shrinkage , but not like some of the others . I buy full bolts of each of these. I consider these to be staples in my fabric inventory.
    All muslin is not created or performs the same. I bought some many years ago that once washed .. there was almost no way to get the wrinkles out, after that experience I learned a few things and found the ones I mentioned.
    I do buy Kaufman muslin 108 wide for backings, its a very very nice quality .

QM
    I buy Moda Muslin by the mini bolt. I really like the feel of it on the back of a quilt.

Blog Entries
    I buy Kaufman but I also buy it at thrift stores and estate sales if I find it. I have had some that really wrinkled when I washed but I did what my grandmother used to do...I sprinkled it, put it in a plastic bag and let it sit for an hour or so..then I ironed it...came out just perfectly.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I buy Roc Lon 403 and 404 ( bleached and Un bleached) its permanent press and pre- shrunk. The perm /press really does diminish the incredible amount of wrinking you get with some muslin. It does still have some shrinkage , but not like some of the others . I buy full bolts of each of these. I consider these to be staples in my fabric inventory.
    All muslin is not created or performs the same. I bought some many years ago that once washed .. there was almost no way to get the wrinkles out, after that experience I learned a few things and found the ones I mentioned.
    Is the muslin that is permanent press 100% cotton?

I buy the Kona cotton. Found that with coupons it is the same price is good muslin.

Does anyone use the Bamboo muslin from JoAnns?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Lori, can you tell us how the Roc Lon compares to Kona in terms of weight? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
    Is the muslin that is permanent press 100% cotton?
    Yes it is 100 percent cotton.

I have used at lot of Roc Lon, I buy it by the bolt wide width and the normal width.

I love the Muslin from Keepsake Quilting. I do not pre-wash any of my fabric. Have been quilting since the mid 70's and never had a problem.