Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mosiac Photo Quilts >

Mosiac Photo Quilts

Mosiac Photo Quilts

Old 07-29-2012, 01:58 PM

Default Mosiac Photo Quilts

Has any one made them and can give me any advice on level of difficulty, success and working with the program?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:52 PM

I took a class and the teacher had her laptop and the program. If I want to make more I would have to buy the program. Mine came out really good contrary to how it was looking while working on it. thought for sure it was going into the trash. Wasnt until I finished it and looked at it from several feet away that it looked right. That being said, would I make another one? NO!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Please tell us what a mosaic photo quilt is, or looks like, or reference to a link. Sounds interesting & fun, but need more information!!! Thank you. Harriet, Kansas
Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 PM

check out www.quiltedphoto.com
Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM

Thank you! Those pictures look like what I "expected." Looks like quite a challenge. This piece or this piece? Maybe over here.....????? When I looked at Google Images, most of what I found
were not what I had in mind for mosaics. Harriet
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Hello to all of you, and thank you for your inquiry. After looking at the Quilter's Message Board, I see that most of you are thinking in terms of the mosaic photo picture programs that out the better being used out there that take very small pictures and create a larger image out of them. In any case, the images used and the final image might be hard the see, depending on a number of factors. But this what a true mosaic is and I not making this this type of quilt. I am using the the term 'Mosaic' as a description, in my case, meaning the use of many photos used to create the quilt, not used to create an image. My concept of quilting a little different since I started out as a photographer and over time I started looking for a different and unique way of showing see my photographs.

I guess I can honestly say that it was quilting that found me. It was about 12 or 13 years go while working at an architectural firm that a fellow employee who happen be a dedicated quilter came in with some of her quilting books planning to look at them while having lunch. Well at lunch time, I didn't anything better to do so started looking through the books myself and while doing so I started to envision photographs in place of the traditional quilting blocks in the patterns that I was looking at. Over time I came up with what think is a simple concept, my mosaic quilt would created from a collage of individual photos that when printed onto high quality fabric allows you made a quilt or wall hanging what would allow you to show off a few or a lot of photographs. You could then hang it on your wall, display it draped across a chair or sofa or show it on a quilt stand where other people could see them and the quilt could pass down as a family heirloom.

Over the past few months, my 'vision' and my techniques have allowed me to explore working with photos in new ways and now I have created a line of quilted photo images made from single photos. Unlike the traditional 'art quilts' where the image is created from various fabrics then quilted, my 'True Image' photo quilts are actual quilted photographs that have been printed onto fabric. As long as the photograph is sharp enough and the definition is there I can make the photograph as large as is needed.

This is a form of art that combines the old tradition of quilting, the art of photography, family history with the high technology of the computer. Bringing to mind 'What was old becomes new again'.

I've started giving workshops at the at my local quilt shop in Burlington, New Jersey, at Olde City Quilts and I plan will to do more workshops at different locations in time. If you go to Olde City Quilts website (http://www.oldecityquilts.com) and look at their class schedule, if mot now you will see my workshops. If you live in south or central New Jersey, Delaware, southeast Pennsylvania or Philadelphia, check out Olde City Quilts or their website or my blog (http://lewfuller.wordpress.com/) for upcoming classes.

If you have any questions about what I'm doing or about prices, contact me, Lew Fuller at:
Email: [email protected]
Phone (toll free): 866.233.4191