Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Motivation Badly needed >

Motivation Badly needed

Motivation Badly needed

Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 AM

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. Everyone here has offered great suggestions. Just take baby steps, maybe a few minutes each day for now.

When my Mother passed away (who always had a needle, thread and a quilt block in her hand) I had to go in and pack up her items. It was over whelming but with family and friends I got through it. I've slowly unpacked the boxes over the years and now, 6 years later, it gives me great comfort to come across something she had made or was in the process of making.

Big hugs from SC
Old 11-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I agree with others here take it a little at a time. If tidying the room is too much right now, I would take a small project that you have had in mind, maybe not one that was started before your husband's illness and work on it perhaps in another room and I am sure you will soon find your passion for quilting returning.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to go do something alone that you once did together. {{hugs}}

I can't offer anything more than everyone else has said - take baby steps, a little at a time - and support, prayers and hugs.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Im so sorry for your loss. I agree with what a lot of others said, just take baby steps, Aug. was not that long ago. Im new to the world of quilting and I have found that my mind can think of NOTHING else except the project that Im working on. Getting those seems to all line up is HARD! Some one else suggested starting a small project and working in another room may get your passion back. I think it sounds like a great idea.
Know that we are all here for you to offer support, prayers and cyber hugs.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM

there are some beautiful, thoughtful suggestions here. You might serendipitously find Comfort in that sewing room; a re-discovered Closeness to the one you love... blessings to you on this part of your journey. Look for it. Expect it. Embrace it. <3
Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) It isn't easy getting back into the swing of things... set small realistic goals, a little each day. Maybe make a list? Once you cross off the first few items, it is easier to see that you are making progress (((HUGS)))
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM

Do you have a family member or a friend that you could ask to organize or clean it up for you? That's the only way I could do it.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 AM
cjr

So sorry for your loss. I can not imagine how you feel. Lots of good suggestions here.

I lost my Mom earlier this year. She is with me more then ever. I live 2000 miles from her; she had been in a nursing home many years. My brother cleaned her apartment when she went to nursing home. Little things that I would have liked to keep are gone.

However I asked for and have her sewing machine.Little did I know then how precious it would become to me. The machine sat neglected for many years. Last month my machine needed to be hospitaslized and a quilt needed finished. I dug out Mom's machine a 1957 Singer 320. DH took apart, cleaned oiled. It worked better then new. Quilt came out almost flawless. It was as if Mom was guiding my hand and the machine. Quilt was for her granddaughter, my niece. Long and short, when the time is right you will know. Do not force healing. If tears come, thats ok. You are healing. The emptyness will always be there, pad it with quilts.

Many hugs
Old 11-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Don't go in there alone. Call a friend and make it a duty to get it cleaned up. Keep only the things that make you happy and either got someone else to finish those projects that you want to see done but hurts too much to do it, or give them away. Change things around so it doesn't look like it did before. Have the room make you happy filled with happy memories. August is recent and it still hurts, but the quicker you get on with it the better you will feel. Do you have a quilting buddy? Maybe one of your kids can help. When you are lone you tend to think. With company is easier to deal with it.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 AM

So sorry for your loss. This is normal from what I have heard from others. You are still grieving. It's ok. It will come. Sending hugs and any time you want to talk more about it, contact me. Sometimes talking it out helps. A friend of mine lost her husband months ago--she just is now starting to set up a sewing place and trying to move in that direction. Her hubby did not quilt with her. Sending hugs.