Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mountain Mist Gold Cotton/Poly batting >

Mountain Mist Gold Cotton/Poly batting

Mountain Mist Gold Cotton/Poly batting

Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Has anyone used this? Our Hobby Lobby just got some in and I like how light and puffy it feels, but I've never used it. I'm going to make my sister a baby quilt soon, and I think I'd like to try it, but this quilt is going to be more work than my average baby quilt, and I'm reluctant to try something that might not work well.

How does it act when washed and dried? Is it sturdy enough for a baby quilt that would be machine washed and dried often?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Is it a 80% cotton/20% polyester combination? With resin bonding? If so, it might be very similar to Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 which is a very nice batting for both hand and machine quilting. Both Hobbs and Mountain Mist are reputable companies that have been in business for decades, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have similar types of batting.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:04 AM

Actually, I think it is a 50/50 blend, if I am remembering correctly.

There was also a Warm Co. 50/50 blend, but it did not have as much loft and wasn't as light.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

I would hesitate to try a new batting with an important quilt. Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 is an excellent batting with relatively high loft and softness. I like the flat antique look, so I usually use 100% cotton batting; however, if I wanted a baby quilt to have higher loft, I'd opt for the Hobbs over an unknown.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I think I may have to use what I'm familiar with. I don't think I have any other less important quilts planned that I could test it on. (Of course, that could be a great excuse to make another quilt...)
Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM

I use this and I love it - I hand quilt and it is easy on the needle and I love how it puffs out. It washes just great also.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Joanieu
I use this and I love it - I hand quilt and it is easy on the needle and I love how it puffs out. It washes just great also.
Have you used it in something that recieves frequent machine washing?

Also, how much does it shrink compared to other cotton battings (I usually use hobbs 80/20)?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM

I haven't done that many and the ones that I have washed before giving away shrunk a little bit. Can not compare since it has been the only one that I have used. I am working a throw right now for me so I will let you know how it handles with frequent washing. No one that I have given to has complained to me yet about it after washings. Sorry, not a whole lot of help like I thought I would.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Never used it, please let us know.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Joanieu - Thank you for the information and for taking the time to answer. It's been more than anyone else has been able to tell me. I think I may (depending on time I've got) try to do a charity quilt or something to test it out, or maybe make a potholder-size test quilt to wash and dry several times first. I must admit, most of my quilts are given as gifts, and I don't know how they fare with frequent machine wash and dry, either.