Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!! >

Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!!

Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
Default Moving sewing room to master bedroom. Yay!!!

A couple of years ago I asked my husband if he wouldn't mind moving our bed and dressers into the sewing room and I'd use the master bedroom for my sewing room and bathroom for me. I have a wall mounted flat screen TV in there. The closet is so much bigger than in our master suite. He became insulted and said 'NO' and whenever I brought it up, he'd shut me down, so I quit asking.

He just told me the shower in the master bedroom is way too small for him and he'd like to use the main shower. (I use the main bathroom and the shower is huge, but no room for makeup, hair thingies, etc) I explained that all he does in the bedroom is sleep. He dresses in his work room/his computer room. He said he might take me up on it.

I am on Cloud 9! The master bedroom is so much bigger than my sewing room. I have my long dresser with a big board for ironing in the middle of the room and it's hard to get around in there. If we trade rooms, I will have all the space I crave. I know the closets are small, but I'll make do. I'm doubly excited to have a big bathroom counter with drawers and lots of cupboards instead of just under the sink.

So, I hope it turns out in my favor, and his, and we trade rooms! I am so excited. How many of you use your living room or master bedroom for your sewing room? Do you like it?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Good Luck!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I am single and my small Living room is my quilter room. The second bedroom is where I keep my stash.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:02 PM

I live in a three bedroom. The two smaller bedrooms are my sewing room and my stash room. Both have walk in closets that help me stay reasonably organized.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Several years ago we turned our garage into a room with a walk in closet and full bath so my mom could move in with us. When she passed, I took her room over for my sewing room/office. It was fine until my daughter and granddaughter moved in. It is connected to the garage which is where we come into the house, and the girls just kick off their shoes and coats, so it's now a sewing room/office/shoe closet! LOL! They are planning on looking for a place of their own soon, so maybe I can get it organized again!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:09 PM

Our third bedroom is my sewing room. I could move to my mom's art studio. At 86, she's decided that she's done with it. But it's in a building away from the house and on a major road. That would mean no more quilting in my jammies! So, I'll stay with what I have. It does get sun from two windows, and there's a birdfeeder. TMI, right?
Old 10-09-2014, 03:37 PM

My sewing room is the living room, who the heck needs a living room, although I guess that is correct, I practically "live" in there....LOL!!!!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I would stay where I was if I was you. I like getting up have a cup of coffee and do what I want til I'm ready to change from bedclothes to day clothes.
Originally Posted by coopah View Post
Our third bedroom is my sewing room. I could move to my mom's art studio. At 86, she's decided that she's done with it. But it's in a building away from the house and on a major road. That would mean no more quilting in my jammies! So, I'll stay with what I have. It does get sun from two windows, and there's a birdfeeder. TMI, right?
Old 10-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

I don't understand a big master bedroom and all the houses have big ones now. DH and go to bed and get up and very rarely go back in there until bedtime. We are dressed for the day, bed made and room tidied up when we walk out of it. I took over the den and adjoining bedroom for my sewing rooms. No one ever used the den and guests can stay at the motel down the road.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't understand a big master bedroom and all the houses have big ones now.
I would love a big master bedroom. What I don't get is homes that have a formal dining room and a regular dining room, and a formal living room and a regular living room (or family room). Talk about a waste of space. The only time you ever make full use of those rooms is during the holidays. My home has a formal living room but I've taken it over as my sewing room. The kids' rooms are fairly large, but not large enough for my longarm, sewing machine & table, cutting board, and ironing board.