Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mug rug ideas please - for a fundraiser >

mug rug ideas please - for a fundraiser

mug rug ideas please - for a fundraiser

Old 03-18-2016, 06:40 AM

Default mug rug ideas please - for a fundraiser

I am trying to find a bunch of different mug rugs that I can copy and put together quickly for a school fundraiser.
So far, my searches online on this site have not found very many, though I remember seeing lots over the last couple years. Different sizes, shapes, scrappy, versus a "pattern", and so on.

Would you folks be willing to post your ideas to this thread so I can have a bunch in one spot?

Or make some suggestions of how to find them - other than on the www?

Thank you for your help!
Old 03-18-2016, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I have EQ7 so I just take any interesting block and resize it to the size I want the mug rug to be. I also love to go look at Google Images. I find lots of patterns to make.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mug+...w=1016&bih=598
Here are some of the ones I made:
Attached Thumbnails floral-rugs.jpg  
Old 03-18-2016, 07:03 AM

Make some of the mug rugs in the school colors, using the mascot if possible. I find themed items go very well in fundraisers. Also put together male-oriented items. There are very few items the guys like at most fundraisers, and they generally sell well. Items with sports teams or outdoors theme are a good bet.Pam
Old 03-18-2016, 07:29 AM

There is a mug rug swap in the member swap forum
Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Most non quilters have no idea what a mug rugs is so maybe include a mug with a poem explaining their use? Perhaps do pieced mug or cup patterns so they get the idea? Key or badge lanyards in the school colours may be another idea.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned

Pinterest is also a good place to find ideas.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

here's my latest mug rug that might be a popular fundraising. you can search paw prints in coloring pages to get the shapes to embroider on it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545159[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20160311-front-embroidery-applique.jpg  
Old 03-19-2016, 05:37 AM

using this search tool will bring up all the mug rug threads, including patterns from this site.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#sa...d.com+mug+rugs

site:quiltingboard.com mug rugs (I find it preferable to using the board's search feature, personally)
Old 03-19-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by NatalieF View Post
using this search tool will bring up all the mug rug threads, including patterns from this site.

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#sa...d.com+mug+rugs

site:quiltingboard.com mug rugs (I find it preferable to using the board's search feature, personally)
How nice! Great way to look up specific themes on QB. Thanks for posting it.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:44 AM

I make quick gifts like key fobs, mug rugs, coasters, candle mats, placemats, dresser scarves, antimacassars, etc, (in any size) using six pieces of fabric cut the desired size, plus 3/4" and a piece of batting the same size. Take the first 2 pieces and and batting set aside. Take the other pieces and press them in half long, short, corner, as long as they are all right side out the same shape and size. On a table, place shapes into your desired shape like a puzzle with raw edges out. Layer extra piece of fabric face down on top, then batting, then last piece of fabric face up. Pin all layers together securely and stitch 1/4" seam around all sides (and losing some 1/4" to the thicknesses, hence adding 3/4 instead of 1/2" for seams. (walking foot helps here). Trim corners carefully. Turn folded edges up, put your thumb in the center as if to make it "right side out". Now all edges are finished, finger press out flat then press to smooth with folded centers touching again. At this point you quilt the layers. I use big embroidery stitches to secure across both width and length (or hand tacks on little ones) to keep the layers together. The larger areas are great to feature team logo fabric or just team colors, and you can make them quickly assembly line style (thank you EB) and stitch them in an evening, and press and embroider to quilt. (Make a small practice piece first, to see where colors will land, and where you can use other fabric if you want to.)
Clear as mud, right?

Last edited by madamekelly; 03-20-2016 at 04:51 AM.