Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Multiple Batting Layers >

Multiple Batting Layers

Multiple Batting Layers

Old 05-04-2013, 04:15 AM

Default Multiple Batting Layers

Have you ever used multiple batting layers for your quilts?
I'm thinking of using THREE!! Has anyone done this? And am I crazy?
I'm doing this for multiple reasons...one, I want it to be thick without using high loft and two, my husband wants me to include a wool blanket INSIDE of the quilt I'm making him, so I'm counting that as a batting layer.

My plan is to quilt the top layer with the batting and then quilt the bottom layer with the batting... and then sandwich them together with the wool blanket and pretend that's my only batting. Will my machine break??? Will my sanity snap?? Should I hand stitch the three layers together instead??

Aaaaand....what about the binding? Can my machine handle that or will it take me a month to bind this sucker by hand?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:26 AM

Never have used more than one layer of batting.
Your plan sounds workable. With lots of patience!
Can't imagine quilting or applying the binding on my machine.
I'd think once you've made/quilted each side, then hand tied or tacking would work.

For sure, you will be warm under this quilt!!
Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

If it is a full size quilt I wouldn't want to try to quilt it on my regular sewing machine. It will be heavy with a wool blanket as batting. I would also be hesitant for a modern domestic machine to quilt through 5 layers but a large cross hatch might be do- able? Maybe you can quilt the top and the back as you indicated and use it as a duvet cover for the wool blanket? You could then use some ties to hold it in place.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If it is a full size quilt I wouldn't want to try to quilt it on my regular sewing machine. It will be heavy with a wool blanket as batting. I would also be hesitant for a modern domestic machine to quilt through 5 layers but a large cross hatch might be do- able? Maybe you can quilt the top and the back as you indicated and use it as a duvet cover for the wool blanket? You could then use some ties to hold it in place.
That just may work!! Thanks.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:09 AM

I have done two layers , never three. Can't wait to see if someone has done three. As far as the binding goes for three layers , make a small sample... like potholder size and give it a go.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:51 AM

I did that once about 20 yrs ago for my mother. I made a quilt out of polyester squares, used 2 ploy batts, cut off the extra and realized that the two pieces were big enough to make another layer. So i basted them together and added them as a third layer. (Her house was old, no insulation and drafty, she used to complain about being cold at night).

When I asked her how it was working out, she said it was too hot to use. So, I have never done that again. I hand tied it, so I don't know how a machine will handle it. Although, I did sew the binding on by hand, and had no problem with that.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 AM

Sounds like a major challenge! With all the comments and of course the thought of how heavy and hot it would be...... will be interested to know and see what you end up doing. I have heard of people using a blanket at the batting, but never of someone adding batting to it.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM

A friend of mine did two, one cotton batt and one poly. It was a very heavy and very warm quilt which is exactly what she wanted.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 AM

If you have a duvet cover, why don't you put all three of the layers into the duvet cover and have him sleep in it to see if that's what he really wants. It may be too hot for him, otherwise, I would tie the quilt together you may have to hand sew the binding on with a big needle. I always wondered what two warm and natural layers would look like, would they puff up more or just be more rigid?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I think I would make a couple of quilts and 'layer' them instead of going for so much bulk in one quilt.

The 'duvet cover' idea seems sort of doable - One could hand baste the two quilts and the wool blanket together while in use and then take it apart to wash the components if/when that became necessary.

I think I would try making something potholder/table protector size first - you'd get something useful out of the sample and find out how well the idea works.