Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
muslin >

muslin

muslin

Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by jjs56 View Post
I made this quilt. The white is bleached muslin from JoAnn's. It's been appraised by a certified quilt appraiser at $1500. Why shouldn't you use muslin? No reason I can think of!

(It's an Ann Orr design from the 1930s called "Postage Stamp Rose". It's 6205, 1 - inch squares, hand quilted 1/4 - inch inside each square.)
I love your "Postage Stamp Rose" quilt. The Ann Orr style is wonderful, and your quilt is fantastic!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I'm wondering if Muslin is a different fabric in the UK. What you are describing is called cheese cloth in the states. Quality muslin is quite closely woven.
Yes, but we do have stuff (or at least we used to) called "Muslin" here in the US that is loosely woven enough to wrap soft cheese in. I used to buy it at our local Hancock's Fabric (in IL) as it also made good pillow forms at a very reasonable price. It's probably been close to 20 years since I made my last pillow form & I haven't seen that super cheap muslin at JAF/HL but I've heard of people still buying it at the Army/Navy Surplus store.
The muslin they sell at JAF/HL isn't good enough for quilts, but it is ideal for practicing dress patterns. That super cheap stuff I used to buy at local Hancock's wasn't even fit for working on a dress form. But it was marketed as "muslin" and did have a slightly denser weave & flatter texture than what they called "cheesecloth".
Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Diane C. View Post
I can buy Moda muslin for $5:00 at my LQS . Better than any thing Joann sells, great thread count. Diane C.
Good price too. I thought the 6 dollars per yard (after buying 3 yards) for Kona bleached muslin was really good considering it is 118 inches wide! Wowser!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by P-BurgKay View Post
Those of you that know Ricky Timm's. He hand dyes his fabrics and the fabric he uses is a special muslin.
He probably uses something called PFD muslin, PFD meaning prepared for dyeing.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I think you are thinking of cheese cloth. A very different thing.
Cheese cloth is a different fabric to muslin. Although muslin does look similiar to cheese cloth therefore not suitable for quilting.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 AM

I wish you ladies would stop posting about sales. I just had to buy that Kona muslin from Fabric.com. It's really expensive to be on this board. LOL!!! Thanks for the heads up. I use muslin for backing a lot and I do hate to piece backs.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
I wish you ladies would stop posting about sales. I just had to buy that Kona muslin from Fabric.com. It's really expensive to be on this board. LOL!!! Thanks for the heads up. I use muslin for backing a lot and I do hate to piece backs.
That was a really great deal though. I did pass on it, but that's the first I have seen Fabric.com do that yard sale thing.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:32 AM

Just a follow up note: I did get free shipping on my order ($89) but I don't know what the price break was or if it was number of yards purchased.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Just a follow up note: I did get free shipping on my order ($89) but I don't know what the price break was or if it was number of yards purchased.
Fabric.com is pretty good about free ship. You have to spend $35 to get free ship, and it's been that way for years. To get your yard sale price, you had to buy at least 4 yards (I think) to get the Kona muslin down to $6 a yard. I probably should have picked it up, 118 inches is kind of unusual to find locally, and for sure not at the price of $6 a yard. You did good.