Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
must have items >

must have items

must have items

Old 09-14-2012, 04:16 AM

Add in a seam ripper jut in case!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
this is excellent advice... my favorite ruler is the 6.5x24"... if i had to choose just one, this would be it.
Agree with that and definitely FLAT pins. The ones with round heads just get in the way.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 AM

If you live near a JoAnn's or Hancocks, sign up for their mailing list. You will get coupons that will help with the cost of your supplies. Good luck and hope you enjoy your class.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 AM

And if you can afford it get the non slip rulers.

When I first started acquiring rulers I bought the 6" X 24" and there were many times I wished it was a 6 1/2" X 24 " ruler! Now most of them have that 1/2" added to it. Can't forget the seam allowance!

Also, a big, study tote bag to carry all your supplies in. I have been known to just use a laundry basket when there was a lot to carry to class.

A lot of people have two machines. A nice one with a big throat space and lots of stitches and a small one that is easy to carry to class. A lot of people here can tell you their favorites. Me, I have to lug my big heavy machine to class.

I'm in a habit that after the school year starts, I go to stores like Wal-Mart and Staples and buy the discounted school supplies. I especially like the see through school boxes. I think the most I have paid is $1 for the large size. Plenty big enough for scissors, pencils, markers, etc to be carried in. I buy the pencil boxes for my rotary cutters - sometimes only 25 cents each. Pencil sharpeners that have the big and little holes - great for sharpening the chalk pencils - 50 cents each. Notebooks for taking notes. I have even bought these for 10 cents each.

This forum is a great place to ask questions and get really good answers. I have learned a lot just by reading posts. Whenever anyone asks a question, you can just bet there are dozens more that would like to know the answer too!

Good luck and post often!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:18 AM

I would also suggest take extra sewing machine needles. It is amazing how often they break while you're in the learning curve. If the machine is getting noisy it sometimes means the needle is getting dull, so change it. A seam ripper is good. I learned to sew clothes before I ever did any quilting and I think I wore out 2 seam rippers in the first year while learning to sew. I still find them very handy, it seems I still make mistakes that need to be taken out.
Have fun learning and when you feel overwhelmed don't get discouraged. It is a very gratifying activity once you get the hang of it.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

If it is a basic quilting class on piecing: 3X18 ruler, rotary cutter and mat, sewing machine, thread, cords, extra bobbins(unless one is being supplied),pins, scissors,pen and paper for notes(or phone for pictures), money if you are ordering in lunch or need to buy something at the store. Most classes have a supply list for you when you sign up for a class.
If you are going to buy the little plastic iron at the LQS, I found that mine did not get hot enough for me. I wish I had saved my money towards the little diamond shaped metal one on a wand for appliqué instead. If irons are available I would use theirs. It gives you a break to get up and wait your turn and look at everyone else's progress.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I notice everyone is recommending the 6.5"x24" ruler, but I use the 8.5"x24" instead. I would love it if it were even wider. Why the preference for the 6.5"?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I notice everyone is recommending the 6.5"x24" ruler, but I use the 8.5"x24" instead. I would love it if it were even wider. Why the preference for the 6.5"?
I think the 6 and/or 6.5 x 24 inch rulers have been around longer than the 8.5 x 24 inch ruler.

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-14-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:28 AM

Seam ripper, don't forget the seam ripper as being new I am sure when you start you will use it. I also would look into the 1/4" sewing machine foot as the seams sometimes need to be right on. I also recommend a good basic beginner quilt book. There are several on the market so look for one that covers most all topics. I can't remember what it is called that I bought but it was something like the "Quilters Bible" that showed step by step instructions for most everything quilting.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

Water erasable markers, to use for hand quilting.
I buy the crayola ones, test these first, i never have a prob getting them out.

Hate the purple one, blue doesn't always show for me.