Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Musty smell...

I was given several boxes of fabric that was obviously stored in a basement. All of it has that musty-basement smell.

Do you think just airing it out will get rid of the smell? Or should I begin the long process of washing it all? Should I use anything special in the washing cycle? Should I use cold or warm water?

Any other suggestions and ideas would be appreciated!

Nancy

If there are no obvious signs of mildew, I would just try to find a place to hang up the various pieces of fabric where they can air out for a time. Once upon a time we all had clotheslines outside in our backyards that were perfect for such!

Your other option is to wash it all. I would do it in warm water and a small amount of your regular laundry soap along with some baking soda added to help deodorize.

If you do wash the fabric, put some baking soda and white vinegar in each load---they will smell so nice. Sometimes a musty odor is mildew in the making. I'd wash them.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    If you do wash the fabric, put some baking soda and white vinegar in each load---they will smell so nice. Sometimes a musty odor is mildew in the making. I'd wash them.
    I agree, definitely wash with the baking soda and vinegar. You would want the material clean anyway. :)

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    If there are no obvious signs of mildew, I would just try to find a place to hang up the various pieces of fabric where they can air out for a time. Once upon a time we all had clotheslines outside in our backyards that were perfect for such!

Your other option is to wash it all. I would do it in warm water and a small amount of your regular laundry soap along with some baking soda added to help deodorize.
    good idea

I was also going to say white vinegar. I was told to do this with the dog bedding to get the doggie smells out. If it will work on that it should work for mildew too.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by tweety
    I was also going to say white vinegar. I was told to do this with the dog bedding to get the doggie smells out. If it will work on that it should work for mildew too.
    Linda
    I used the baking soda and vinegar a couple of weeks ago when I bought 134 yds of fabric from a household that had 3 heavy smokers in it. The fabric wreaked of cigarette smoke. After washing and drying it smelled wonderful but I had to use a LOT of B-soda and vinegar. Over a cup with each load.

I hate to tell you this, but years ago I had to store fabric in my basement and it also got that musty smell. I did rewash it but only in detergent. Every once in awhile I will pull out a piece and I know that it is from the old stuff stored in the basement. Hopefully with vinegar and or baking soda it will smell great. Good luck.

Baking soda, white vinegar and warm water.

I agree.

Margie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast