Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Ah-Ha moment!! (scroll down to see the actual Ah-Ha)

While In OKC last week with DH, (His business trip & my fun trip) I had an ah-ha moment while sewing on my little Brother. DH bought me this machine for this trip. It doesn't have a 1/4" foot.
    First I measured 1/4" from the needle & used several layers of painters tape as a guide. (Like I did for my vintage machines.)

As I sewed I kept my finger on the edge fo the "guide" & my fabric to keep it in line.
    Name:  Attachment-271784.jpe
Views: 525
Size:  28.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    great idea

Blog Entries
    But, of course !!!

Welcome to the crowd! This is a favorite technique of mine - although I use moleskin/molefoam instead of painters tape. It's a lot harder to take off of the machine when I want to do something other than quilting, though ;).

When I came to the end of my 'ender' squares it tried to wonder off. Even though it was just an ender I do want it to be part of my postage stamp quilt, so I don't want it to wonder off.

Here's the ah-ha moment! If I just switch my finger to the left of the pressure foot I can control the 1/4 inch to the very end!!!!
    Name:  Attachment-271787.jpe
Views: 519
Size:  27.7 KB

That is a good idea and also a good way to use those magnetic business cards you get from businesses, they aren't strong enough to hurt your little electronic machine and they work great on the old vintage ones that are all metal.

Good idea! I have a 1/4" foot but have never liked it. Too narrow to hold the fabric steady. I used instead a "bridge" made of first aid tape just like you did. Works great.

I keep rolls of blue painters tape in the office, the shop, the sewing room...love that tape!

Blog Entries
    Gee - we didn't let her finish but I will say again "But, of course". Always learning and I think it's great that you have shared this with everyone .....

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    Gee - we didn't let her finish but I will say again "But, of course". Always learning and I think it's great that you have shared this with everyone .....
    It's OK!!!!
    It took a lot longer to load those picts than I thought !!! I didn't even know ya'll had posted till I was through posting. :oops:
    I figured that lot's of people had figured it out, but maybe it'll help those who haven't. I love this board 'cause we all share & help at all levels!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dublb
    While In OKC last week with DH, (His business trip & my fun trip) I had an ah-ha moment while sewing on my little Brother. DH bought me this machine for this trip. It doesn't have a 1/4" foot.
    First I measured 1/4" from the needle & used several layers of painters tape as a guide. (Like I did for my vintage machines.)
    I did this back before there was such a thing as a 1/4" foot. A layer of post-it notes works too.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast