Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My attempts at FMQ +  UGGGHHHH!!!! >

My attempts at FMQ + UGGGHHHH!!!!

My attempts at FMQ + UGGGHHHH!!!!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:35 PM

Default My attempts at FMQ + UGGGHHHH!!!!

I'll just say it....my FMQ stinks!! I've been trying all evening to see if I have any natural talent for it and I don't have any..... even in my little finger!

I've bought books and tried to freehand the designs based on the directions. My free-hand drawings look nothing like what they are supposed to look like.

I tried tracing designs on Glad Press-N-Seal and sew on the traced design....again....no good, and the black pen I used (permanent sharpie as instructed on Craftsy) bled through onto the thread on the practice quilt sandwich. Won't use that technique on any quilt going forward. I have a few stencils but they aren't the right size. I like using the blue wash-out pen. I can follow those marks, but the designs I have trouble finding the write size.

All that practicing wore me out and was very discouraging, but I'm determined to learn how to do this....need some encouragement and advice.

Well, as Scarlett said.....tomorrow is another day

PS - on a good note...all of my D4P blocks are done and ready to be laid out and arranged for a queen size quilt. Yeah!
Attached Thumbnails fmq.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:47 PM

to me it's looking pretty good .... mine is still all over the place. I'm told it will take practice and practice to get it where I'll like it. Be patient with yourself and enjoy your progress.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 PM

Do one design ...ie stippling until you get really good...then...move on to another design...feathers are hard...save them for later maybe...it takes lots of hours of practice...HUNDREDS... Dont give up...
Old 01-31-2014, 10:08 PM

Doesnt look bad to me! I just do easy stuff so far, keep practicing!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 PM

I think it looks ok. Better than I can do!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:58 PM

Wow, I WISH I was as good as you! I've only been able to do a meander stitch, and I don't do very good at that even! I think that you are doing great!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:07 AM

What are you expecting? Just do stippling until you get good at that (as tellabella suggested) and then go on to the next one, etc. until you expand.

I suppose, just work on a few at a time--but my real question...what are you expecting from yourself? Exactly what is the problem? long, uneven stitches, or jerky designs, etc?
Old 02-01-2014, 12:20 AM

Perfection takes time. Keep practising then after a larger glass of wine and another at hand have ago. The wine will relax to move easier. If it is disappointing blame the wine. You win both ways. Make a small table runner or similar and try. This project will be easier to take under the machine before a larger quilt. Remember you are only working on the section on the machine bed. Forget the rest.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:23 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself.You will get there. I can tell your very determined, it will take lots of practise! I think what you have done so far looks far better than what I did!!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:01 AM

Actually, your FMQ looks fine to me. You should have seen my first attempts at FMQ. Now, I am excellent at following any traced design or doing FMQ stitching in the ditch. I still haven't learned to stipple. Learning to stipple is my goal for 2014. Keep practicing. Learning to FMQ takes lots of practice.