Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Bamboozler is OUTTA HERE! >

My Bamboozler is OUTTA HERE!

My Bamboozler is OUTTA HERE!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Recently I wrote about the first quilt pattern that has absolutely stumped me:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-47557-1.htm

I tried many of your suggestions and even had an email exchange with the designer. There was a change posted to the pattern, but it was irrelevant to the problems I was having. I kept going and hoped that the puckering problem I was having would smooth out with quilting.

So yesterday I spent the whole day paper-piecing a block and when I went to sew the quarter circle on it, it was the worst one I'd done yet. Now, I've taken paper-piecing classes. I like doing it, and I think I do a pretty good job at it most of the time. And I've done quarter-circles with that lay perfectly flat with no problem. So, I know I'm capable of it.

So when I finished that block and it was, once again, so disappointing, I decided I'd had enough and threw the whole thing away. I sorted out what fabric I had left and put scraps with my scraps and yardage with my yardage. I still have plenty of fabric to make something else. But I've never given up on a quilt and I feel a little guilty about doing it. So, I wondered if any of you have ever been defeated by a pattern. Have you just plain given up on it?

It was spoiling the fun of quilting for me. I have several projects going, and whenever it was time to work on that one, I always put off quilting for several days because I didn't want to return to it. I am convinced that there was a problem with the pattern. I don't know how anyone could have worked in the amount of fullness the pattern demanded.

After I'd sorted all the fabrics out and put them away it occurred to me that I might have tried remaking the offending part of the pattern so that it might work better, but I was just so DONE with it that I decided not to.

It's too bad. I really liked the quilt. And I loved the fabrics I selected for it. I'll use them again, but I still feel badly about it. Thanks for "listening."
Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 AM

OH YES!!! The first time I ever tried to do a Drunkards Path. After two blocks I gave it up and never looked back. Do I regret letting it get the best of me? Not in the least. There's plenty of other patterns out there to make.
However, if you really really want to make this quilt, set the fabrics and pattern aside. Every few months drag it out and try again. One of these days it may just go together like a dream.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM

can we see a picture???
Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 AM

You could always just fuse the rounded part on or even square it up. I can see why you like it. I think I'd just fuse it on.

If you click on the link and then click on the link it brings up it will show a picture of the pattern.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I feel so badly for you. I have never had one do me in like that but then again I have not tried a pattern such as that. I have done PP mariners compass which is the same idea. Can't understand why they weren't laying flat for you. I wonder if there was a problem with the paper pattern pieces. I have heard that photocopies of PP patterns can ever so slightly change the size of some pattern pieces.

If it is not too late, you should consider offering it up here on the board for cost of postage. Maybe someone else can have better luck with the blocks you have completed so far or make it work somehow or recut them up into crumb blocks. Seems such a waste to throw away what you have done.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you! I haven't given up on any patterns yet, but I'm fairly new to the whole quilting thing, so most of my quilts are fairly easy, no curves, etc.
I think you made the right choice to give up on it, you gave it the old "College Try" (several times!!) but quilting is supposed to be enjoyable, not give you fits! Ok, it gives us all fits sometimes, but that should not be the norm ;)
Now that it's off your plate, you can move on to other things you are looking forward to, and that you will find enjoyable. Like you said, too, you still have enough fabric left to use in another project, so it's not a total loss!
(((Hugs))) and I hope your next project goes smoothly! :D
Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 AM

I haven't thrown one away yet, but a couple have been put in storage for a very lengthy time like 6+yrs. :shock: Love parts of it hated others. Just figured out something different I would like to do to one and now my interest has been recharged about it.

Sometimes something will just kick your butt. My solution, put it out of sight and when I was ready or thought I was I would pull it out and look at it again. If nothing still came together, back it went into storage! :lol: :lol: I'm starting to get determined to get this one done and outta here! Tired of looking at it. :lol: :lol: Hopefully, will be done by the end of this year. :thumbup:
Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 AM

I've tried "Double Wedding Ring" at least 3 times and it defeated me each time but someday I'm going to try it again.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
can we see a picture???
Here is a picture of the pattern:

http://www.newleafpatterns.com/Patte...ll/firefly.gif

If you click on the link in this post, and go back to the original, I've posted pictures of my blocks about halfway through.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I have heard that photocopies of PP patterns can ever so slightly change the size of some pattern pieces.
I thought of this too, but I measured them over a lightbox to see if they were different, and they weren't. There was a little box to guage too, but that was right on. I really think the curved piece was the problem . . . like maybe it was too big? Maybe the sewing line should have been the border? Something just wasn't right about it. I would challenge anyone to try to ease in maybe four inches of fullness and make it lie flat.

Your suggestion about sending it to someone on the board is a good one, but I'm tired of looking at it. The pieces are long narrow strips, wider on one end than the other. They really aren't much use for anything especially when you cut off the seam allowance, which you'd have to do. They were cut for a very specific purpose, and it would be a lot of trouble for not much gain.