Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Bernina 830 is a pain! >

My Bernina 830 is a pain!

My Bernina 830 is a pain!

Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 PM

Just thought I would provide an update. Was still having problems with this machine - been back to dealer a couple more times in the last few months. I ended up sending an email to Bernina asking them to take it back and give me my money back because I was so disgusted with this machine. Was told by them it was operator error. They then notified the dealer to give me more training and boy was she not happy. Funny, she had the same problems with the bobbin that I did, but you know, somehow it was still my fault. Then I had the same problems again with this machine (bobbin jamming up, constantly getting the broken thread message), so again took it back. When I went back to pick it up, I figured I'd take a half day of vacation because the dealer is not that close to me and she could give me some training on it that she said I needed. (she is only open for 3 hrs in the morning on Saturdays) I called her first to make sure she was going to be there and open all day. Yes, she was going to be there all day. When I got there to pick up my machine, we did a few test stitches and it seemed to work. I asked her to give me some training on the features and she said, "I'm only here for 5 more minutes. You'll have to come back another time." So much for being there all day. She is in a small town so I image that most of her business has to come from out of town people and she is definitely not accommodating. She was rather rude and nasty. When I went home and tried sewing on it, again I got the broken thread message after only a few stitches. I have no idea what I could be doing wrong. I'm now afraid to sew on this thing. I would also like to mention that I stopped into a sewing store that used to be a Bernina dealer. When I asked them why they weren't selling them anymore, they said they had a lot of trouble with the new 830s and Bernina would not stand behind them. To save their own reputation as a good dealer, they quit carrying them. That's pretty sad. I just don't think these companies want to stand behind their products anymore.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:56 PM
pw6

Take it back
Old 09-21-2013, 04:41 PM

My dealer wouldn't take it back. In fact, she got quite nasty the last time I had to take it back in. This machine was so bad, that within 5 minutes of sewing on it, the bobbin would jam and the thread sensor constantly said that the upper thread was broke when it wasn't. It was so frustrating, I wanted to throw it out the window, but it was too heavy. Finally talked to another dealer and traded it for a Pfaff Creative Sensation. They did tell me that others were having the same type of issues. Their technician was sewing on it and it was doing the same thing as it did for me. I figured I'd better get out of there with my new machine fast before they changed their mind. As far as Bernina giving good customer service, I've come to the conclusion that's only if the machine is working ok. They told me my problems were because I didn't know how to sew on it. Good riddance to this machine and the rotten dealer.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

​Sorry you got a lemon! The thing cost as much as a car, you would think the lemon law should apply.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 AM

Training? Are you kidding me? A machine should not give you problems with simple sewing functions. Does that dealer understand what a bad service rep will do to their business? Many of us QB members read these posts to get a heads up on brands before we shop for future purchases. You should love your new Pfaff, I love my serger and 11year old QE and if I replace it will go for another Pfaff or what my trusted dealer recommends. I trust my dealer to the point the drive to Kennesaw is worth every mile.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:09 AM

Sounds like you ladies should band together and file suit to be reimbursed for the machines. There is no excuse for 6 and 7 trips for repair of sensors and what not. If it were a car or a major appliance it would have already been recalled. The only reason Bernina isn't recalling is because the chance of someone being physically injured is almost nil and because as women we'll put up with whatever they tell us. Sue.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:16 PM

I traded it for the Pfaff, so I don't think that's an option anymore. Any lawyers on this Board? Do we have any options?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 AM

I'm so happy you were able to get rid of it. Enjoy your new machine and try to forget that horrible experience. No excuses for that first dealer, none at all. But it seems like the company wouldn't back up their dealers and she was left hanging on her own with the problems.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 AM

I have the 830 and absolutely love it. You have a lemon of a dealer for sure!!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:10 PM

I've had 2 Bernina's and loved them both. I'm still sewing on my Artista 180 and probably will for a while. If your dealer won't help you definitely talk to Bernina. I've always had great service from my Bernina dealer. For the price of a high end machine, you should not have to deal with that. I agree with QuilterMomma Bernina is good at standing behind their products. I think the problem here is the dealer.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 09-24-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Can't spell