Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Bernina 830 is a pain! >

My Bernina 830 is a pain!

My Bernina 830 is a pain!

Old 02-25-2012, 03:46 AM

Wow, not only a problem with the machine, but a less than wonderful dealer to boot. I'd be pretty frustrated too!

There's a Yahoo group for Bernina owners that includes several models, one of which is the 830. If you go to Yahoo groups and search for Bernina 830, it should come up. There are some very helpful members and great suggestions there. Recently somebody with an 830 was having issues similar to yours. Another member explained how to clean out the insides of the bobbin area using a trident tool that Bernina supplied. It was amazing to see how much broken thread had worked its way in there!

I'd suggest joining the group and seeing if they can help you. And I'd be contacting Bernina about both the machine and the dealer. And I'll continue to be thankful for our wonderful dealer (Leroy @ Penn Yan Sewing).
Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 AM

I too have an 830 and has been back to the dealer numerous times in the past year (I've had it for a year!). One of the issues is the thread 'alarm' and I've been told if a little fiber of thread gets caught (which is unseen to my eye) that's what happens. They told me to turn the alarm off and sew until it's convenient for me to drop off my machine! Last week a 'piece' of something flew out at me and I had to take it back (I think it was part of a spring) and I asked the dealer if I was sewing too much (because basically I truly enjoy sewing with it) and he said 'no'. When I returned to get it after it had been serviced, he offered to trade me to the LE830 for $1995...I'm sitting on the fence as I just got it last year!!! However I have wondered I bought it and it had been used 6 months prior to my buying it! I feel fortunate to have the Bernina dealer that I do as he always tries to accommodate my schedule with servicing (as I live an hour away) and now he's given me this offer...still thinking but he told me to sew to my heart's content and see if it works ok for longer than a month!!! That's my experience so I'd say I'm 75% satisfied with my machine!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:11 AM

for that kind of money we should be 95% or more satisfied.I have a Viking Diamond and a SE -I am 100% satisfied with both.I Diamond has a bigger throat,etc-love it.I could not part with my SE either-love it too.I have drooled at the 830's but can not afford another and will not part with what I have to get one.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 AM

What a sad thread to read! Berninas should never be problem machines; they are only able to charge the prices they do because of their reputation, and if they lose that, they will be nothing. You should definitely call Bernina directly (please by-pass your less than satisfactory dealer) and report the problems you are having, both with the machine and the dealer. Bernina dealerships are closely watched, and I am sure your dealer will get a call from Bernina regarding your machine. You have invested a small fortune in your machine, and you need to have someone pay attention to your problems. Please let us know how all of this turns out!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:23 AM

Default Regarding the Bernia 830. When I retired I thought I wanted and needed a Janome and

It turned out just like the Bernia. I have had lots of trouble with this Janome. I allowed a 1960 Sears Commander to get out of my possition and regret it very much. It was a simple machine. did all I wanted , Especailly the sewing one does to make a quilt. Oh well, live and learn.
Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I bought a Bernina 830 a year ago. I was so excited. I knew it would be wonderful to sew with. Wrong! The thread breaks all the time. I've used every thread possible. I've used every needle possible. I even bought a vacuum for sewing machines and clean it frequently. One of the feet that came with it won't work. The dealer let me try one of their's and it wouldn't work on my machine, so they gave me a similar one and a couple of months later asked for it back. I said "no" and reminded them that the one that came with the machine wouldn't work on mine. It's the open toed foot. Good for appliqueing. The metal one wouldn't work but the plastic foot does. And my machine always tells me the thread is broken when it's not. I'm just really disappointed. This machine is suppose to be the cream of the crop. That's why I bought it. My old Viking works better than this one. Anyone else with a Bernina 830 having any of these problems?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG View Post
Bernina's are fabulous machines, it sounds like you just got a lemon. It happens. But I too would be returning it. I personally wouldn't allow them to fix it, I would want a brand spanking new one and fight like the dickens to get one if they bulked at doing that. Good luck!
one of the ladies I sew with had this problem with the 830 she purchased a year ago.....after many service issues the sewing machine dealer replaced her machine (it never worked properly) the replacement machine is a joy and sews as a BERNINA should.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 AM

Default Bernina 830 being a pain

They are picky machines. I've had mine about 1 1/2 years. Its biggest problem is the automatic threader stops working. Have you tried contacting Bernina directly, via email or through their website. And, it wouldn't hurt to find another dealer either if yours isn't taking care of the problems. If you can find one, I reccommend taking the Mastery class for the 830. There's so much to this machine & the class covers most of it. I use Bottom Line thread for the bobbin & either Gutterman, King Tut, or serger thread in the top. My dealer also suggested using canned air to blow from the back of the bobbin case towards the front to blow out lint in hard to see places. I also oil it about every 2 bobbins or when it begins to rattle while sewing. Best of luck.

Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 02-25-2012, 05:57 AM

I have a Bernina 830 and love it, I was told that if I used polyester thread on my Bernina there would be less issues with the thread breaking. I just use polyester thread and have had no problems. Rayon thread seems to be one of the worst for this problem, and some threads have little bits of lint that come off no matter what you do. You should be oiling your bobbin area, each time you change your bobbin, just a drop of oil inside the area where the bobbin fits will keep it lubricated, and be sure to use your bobbin tool to clean it regularly. Please keep going back to your dealer and letting them know how frustrated you are in attempting to deal with the issues you are experiencing - and make sure you keep track of the dates, times of your calls or visits to the dealer along with the problem. Do not give up on your machine. I hope you can get past these issues.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 AM

It does sound like you have a lemon. Contact the manufactor about the machine and also about who you bought it from. I know they do not like their name bashed abound. Good Luck
Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Go directly to Bernina with your complaints with the machine and the dealer you purchased your machine from. Bernina is a wonderful company (no I don't have stock, but do have experience with Bernina machines and Bernina dealers). You should have the contact info. with your manuals.