Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MY Bernina Died!!!!!! >

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

MY Bernina Died!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by MissSandra
several years the mother board went out on my bernina it was 100. for a new one.
Wow! The motherboard on my Bernina 1530 cost $279! What model is yours???

If I was without my Bernina for a month I would be looking for a loaner for sure! Couldn't hurt to ask what they would give you for a trade-in.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Well, I have one of the cheaper Wal-Mart Brothers (under $150). I sewed with it for 4-5 years. Yes, it sews ok, but I was always way off in my seams and never could seem to sew one straight. I blamed it all on me. Then a couple of years ago I got a new Janome 1600P for Christmas. WOW! What a difference! Also to mention that now my Brother will not load a bobbin. Something slipping in there and I don't know how to fix it. The tech who services my better machine says that Brother will not even give them information on these machines and he cannot get parts.

If I were without my Janome, I'd use my old Kenmore or my FW until I could replace it. Would not buy the low-end machines.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:00 PM

I bought a cheap brother from Wal Mart years ago too and it was a piece of junk. Every time I sewed with it, it would bounce across the table. It was around $100 - maybe it was just tooo cheap. Maybe the ones that are $200 are a bit better!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
The cheap brothers do just nicely and last just fine, I hate that people bad mouth them on here. I have one from 93 that still runs, my MIL used it the other day to make an apron. My other one is 5 years old, never had any problems, I just bought another one. You are not going to be using it that often and it is great for class as well as a back up machine.
I have to put my two cents in and agree with this. I have given my cheap mechanical Brother a lot of work and it has never failed me. Not saying an expensive machine is not a fun thing to have, but, my Brother has sewn on anything, is not fussy about thread, and will do a nice job of FMQ even if the feed dogs don't drop. I have a hand me down even more basic mechanical Brother at one son's house and it is easy to use and sews a nice seam. A newer mechanical Brother at the other son's which worked right out of the box and I enjoy that one too.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Use your Kenmore. It' s a much better built machine than any of the plastic stuff you can buy for $200. Save your money, IMO.
I could not agree more!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:05 PM

I think those of you who have some inexpensive machines here are missing the point. I'm not trying to "bad mouth" your machines. But, why in the world would she have to buy one of these as a back up with a perfectly awesome, vintage Kenmore in the house?
Old 09-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

I recently bought an inexpensive Brother quilt machine from Amazon.com to use when I go to class. It is wonderful and comes with everything I need to do my quilting. I believe is was just over $100.
My Bernina QE440 is 6 years old and I love it and would miss it very much if it was out of commission. Now I know I have a light weight machine that is easy to carry just in case.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:13 PM

I have my old 1977 Kenmore sewing machine I bought new for $125.00. I use it as a back up machine. It even went through my house fire in 2003 and after rescuing it's grimy, smokey body I had it cleaned and refurbished. I could sew through SOUP CANS with that little work horse...lol My main machine is a Bernina 440QE, but I will NEVER let go of my old Kenmore. I've sewn horse blankets with it.. canvas bags..... you name it.

Recently, I had a friend who purchased a refurbished Janome off of Overstock.com for $120 and she LOVES IT. Just ideas before you take the plunge.

CANDACE.. I didn't sense you were dissing inexpensive machines.. I got your point.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by debs
:cry: :cry:
Yes, Its true, and in the midst of sewing! I took it in last month for servicing and when they called for me to pick it up, they said something other than what I had mentioned was wrong with it, and they were ordering a part ( a cable ) hoping that it wasn't the motherboard ( expensive ). Well, it has been a month & the cable has not come in, when it was sent home it supposedly would still sew. This weekend when I went to do some major straight stitching it just died in the midst. I have no idea how long it will take for the part to arrive, I have multiple projects lined up for the coming holidays and really need to be sewing daily. So here is my question????
A. Should I just wait & hope for the best.
B. Go out & purchase a cheap under $200 machine and sew away. I've looked at Brothers & they have several under $200 that look like I could do quite well with them.
C. See if the Bernina shop will take my machine in as a trade for what they sell, Bernina, Baby Lock, Juki, etc. What hurts even more is I bought the leather roller foot for the Bernina this past week on sale! Its regularly $80.

I have an old Sears Kenmore cam machine 1971, but it weighs about a hundred pounds and I hate to set it up. Also have an old Singer treadle I haven't cleaned up yet and 2 sergers. The new machines even the under $200 ones even under $100 are so light and do so much.

Also should I just get a mechanical one or a computerized one, I really am not that interested in getting one that does embroidery, but I love doing fancy stitches.

Any comments, suggestions, etc. welcome,

Debs & Hemi
Last year my Bernina 1530, stopped doing anything but a straight stitch. I couldn't even set "needle down". I have this machine at the summer place in NH and I have a Viking in FL. I LOVE my Bernina and if it had a couple of the features of the Viking that I really like I would reverse them. I took it to the repair shop with the intention of checking out the cost for repair or buying a cheaper machine. The repairman had fixed the same problem the previous year. He said the Bernina is a workhorse and finer machine than I could get for the price I wanted to spent. He called the company and they said they could rework the board because they no longer made new ones. He advised that I do that and he quoted a price of $250. I felt that I would only spend about that much so it was essentially my cut off price. I had it fixed and I have not been sorry. Take out the Kenmore and use it until they can fix your Bernina. I don't think you will be sorry.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:55 PM

You really need a back up that is easy to set up. Look at various places including Overstock.com. Call Bernina and ask them when do they think the part will arrive.