Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Are my calculations correct?

Are my calculations correct?

I am making my 2nd baby quilt for new grandbaby due in April. I have chosen a simple 4 Patch design and a cute book panel which I have cut apart using the 'pages' as the large square.
    The smallest I can cut the squares with out taking away too much from each page is 7". I am calculating that my strips for the 4 patch will need to be 4".
    Do I have the match correct??
    I included a photo of the graph of the 4 patch, an actual sample and the book panel which I am using that is now cut into separate squares.

Hoping I have this correct....newbie on the job here! Thank you sew much for your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    I am truly Blessed by the Best!!
    ♥♥ Sew Sincerely, Sheriann ♥♥

MTS
    Banned
    The book pages, which you're cutting at 7" square (right?), will FINISH at 6.5" square.

That means that each 4patch will need to be 3.25" FINISHED, UNFINISHED/CUT at 3.75".

I can't read the instructions, but when I did something similar years (and years ago), I sewed the 4patch to the page, right sides together around 3 sides, clipped the corners, and then turned it inside out so the right sides were out.
    Then I put a "binding" which encased the raw edges on the 4th side.
    Is that what you were planning on doing?

*I do remember I was so mad because on the first couple of pages I sewed the wrong 3 sides - so the "page" was to the left instead of to the right of the spine, which was what i wanted.
    Just throwing it out there as something to keep in mind. ;-)
    Last edited by MTS; 02-01-2013 at 03:29 PM.

I knew my calculations were too simple.... lol Thank you for setting me straight!

No, I am not using the panel as a whole. I have cut the individual 'pages' out so they are all separate. Then I will sew them to the 4 patch....I found matching little golden books fabrics for the 4 patch.

MTS
    Banned
    You can always make the 4patch bigger and cut them down, but......

I'd suggest cutting all the pages out first to make sure you get a consistent size before making the 4 patches.
    That way you can always adjust the construction of the pieced blocks to the book pages.
    (Usually it's the opposite, but in this case the deciding factor will be the size of the pages.)

oops, posted at the same time.

Right - quilt, not a book. ;-)
    Last edited by MTS; 02-01-2013 at 03:35 PM.

I have the 'pages' or now blocks cut out @ 7". I measured each and every one of them before I ever cut into the fabric just to make sure that one wasn't 7" exactly or less than 7"....can you tell I've worked with these wonky panels before??!!

Cut your 4 patches at 3 3/4. Love the book panels you are using and your 4 patches. What a cute idea.

Thank you both sew much! 3 3/4" they shall be!!