Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Chuckle of the Day - news flash from the quilting police >

My Chuckle of the Day - news flash from the quilting police

My Chuckle of the Day - news flash from the quilting police

Old 08-16-2014, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
My chuckle for the day was seeing a teenage boy without his bike helmet on BUT he was wearing a red flannel, fur lined deer stalker hat with ear flaps. What was he thinking??
Where I live, it is interesting to see the boys being compliant by wearing their bike helmets perched above their turbans.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:25 AM

Edyta Sitar for Laundry Basket Quilts has done it for years in her collections! They are beautiful collections and date way back a few years. Guess the police have been sleeping.... I mix mine on nearly every quilt. LOL
Old 08-16-2014, 03:51 AM

Aren't we all designers?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:55 AM

Next they'll be mixing designers...
Old 08-16-2014, 04:04 AM

When you think of it, old school quilting involved recycling any useable fabric into quilts. Funny now to consider mixing batiks, cottons and even flannels as "going Rogue". I too have been doing it for years. Makes sewing and life interesting.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
It's official. It is now Ok to mix and match Bali batiks and prints.

from the brand new Refreshed for Fall Keepsake Quilting Catalog:
"Want to make your quilts even more stunning? Do what some of the top designers are now doing- mixing printed fabrics with hand-dyed and batiked Balis."

I've been doing this since I started quilting eleven years ago. I fell in love with quilting fabric - all of it. Glad to know the designers are catching on.
...hmm, let's see is it because "designers" are now designing both and want to sell more fabric...just like "designers are now using coordinating fabric on back of quilt instead of muslin"..... That worked and raised sales.

And anyone who quilts "designs" !
Old 08-16-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair View Post
I have a question? I am taking a class at a sop that sells mostly batiks. I bought 2 fat quarters and had two old ones in my stash. I washed all 4 separately. All 4 bled. Do batiks normally bleed?
The best answer I can give you is...it depends. I have had batiks that bled and bled and batiks that didn't, both from the same manufacturer. You never really know until you wash them. Some people use products like Synthropol or Retayne when they get their fabric home. Jinny Beyer has instructions on her website for soaking her batiks prior to use. I've done it all and didn't come up with any one way that seems to be best. I do believe in the color grabbers for the wash. You can find several detailed threads on this board discussing all the things I've mentioned. Then pick whatever sounds reasonable to you and try it. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mizkyp View Post
Next they'll be mixing designers...
This made me laugh! !!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Why do you think designers are the quilt police? Did someone say you couldn't use batiks and prints together?
ITA. The premise of this thread doesn't make sense.

What's weird is not that KQ is posing as the quilt police, but that they are announcing the mix of fabrics as a novel idea.

What's most likely is that more designers who usually design to show off their own fabric lines are producing batiks as well. And now you can buy 2 jelly rolls instead of one!

As an aside, if the quilt police are the most opinionated people in quilting, the most strident I've run into have worked in LQS. They can be wonderfully nice but super-opinionated at the same time.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 AM

geez--- now I feel really dumb! I didn't know I was doing something wrong. don't tell anyone, but I use solid colors with them too. I feel so ashamed and dirty...... lol