Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My double wedding ring quilt again NEED HELP >

My double wedding ring quilt again NEED HELP

My double wedding ring quilt again NEED HELP

Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 AM

Default My double wedding ring quilt again NEED HELP

Tartan this is especially for you as you have been so inspirational in the past. I have done the quilting pattern with the papers and empty needle and have it pinned on trial block. What is the best way to do this.on pattern it says stitch in ditch on all straight lines and then quilt the pattern in centre . Is there any way I could do a lighter batting behind these separately and then join them as a quilt, put the batting and backing on as usual and do a little stitching to hold it all together. Does this make sense to you. My problem is I can't see me being able to make this all up as quilt and do it through a domestic machine. What do you think??
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Looks like this version of DWR is square blocks? If so, you can FMQ quilt in sections. There are many different ways to do this, but here is one. Join all the blocks for your top. Cut a strip of batting about 1/3 the width of your top. Cut a strip of backing at least 4" wider than your batting strip. Lay the backing down, then the batting, then carefully center your quilt top on the batting. Pin/spray/glue baste this section as usual. Quilt your pattern, make sure you stay a couple inches away from the edges of the batting. When the center is done, cut a piece of backing that will go from the other piece to a couple inches past the end of your top and seam it to the original piece. Cut a strip of batting and butt (don't overlap) it up against the original piece and whip stitch. Pin/spray/glue baste this section as usual and quilt. Repeat for the last section. This way you are only dealing with the maximum of about 1/3 of the quilt in your machine harp at a time.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

The book "Quilting in Sections" by Marti Michell explains a variety of ways to quilt in smaller pieces, then join.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

You want to pre-quilt the center design with a light batt, join all the blocks like a regular quilt top with batt and batting and then re-quilt the straight lines in the blocks? Yes, you could do that. The only problem would be the extra batt edge. I think I might quilt in the fancy design, straight stitch the inside of the one edge of the straight blue design. This would anchor the batt and you could trim away the extra batt just outside the blue line stitching. This would have the extra batt secured so the edges won't wrinkle up when you make the quilt sandwich. (You could trim after the first fancy design but since the center is white you might see the edge of the extra batt.)You can the SITD around the outside of the line second line and between the blocks. When the quilt is completely quilted,I might add a little design in the center of the block quilting design to anchor the center of the blocks to the quilt back.
By the way, quilting a design with a thin batt and then sandwiching the quilt to quilt again, is how some people do a trapunto effect on their quilts. The extra batt in the center area will give a pretty trapunto look but if this was not what you were asking, never mind.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Thank You Tartan this is exactly what I had in mind but wasn't sure if you could understand me. Yes that would be a good idea to quilt a small design in the very centre to help hold it all together. My first batting will only be very light so I will try this out on sample block before launching on the main quilt Many thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:42 PM

a trapunto type double wedding ring. sounds awesome. good luck. please let us know how it works