Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My first attempt at machine quilting

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

My first attempt at machine quilting

Do I cut the batting and the backing the same size as the front of the quilt before I machine quilt my quilt? It seems like I should so that everything will line up properly. I'm going to use 505 basting spray. I'll apply it in my garage with the door open. Do I apply it liberally? Do I let it sit for so long? Like a half an hour? I usually take my quilts to a LAQ. This is my first attempt at trying to do it myself and am hoping everything goes well so I can start quilting for now on and save me money. I am going to quilt 1/4" next to each seam. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

IQ2
    Cut the batting and backing about 3-4" larger all around...same size as each other. Then center your top on that.
    You need to leave some room for the quilting to pull the backing and batting in. Once you're finished quilting you will then trim off the edges to the size of the top.

Use as little spray adhesive as possible. I used too much recently and it stained my fabric. I tried laundering it, but it stayed stained and very sticky.
    Last edited by IQ2; 07-24-2013 at 04:52 AM. Reason: add to the reply

Check out some You Tube videos on machine quilting. I think you'll see and learn a lot!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

ditto to IQ2

Perhaps start with something small ... a couple of FQs sandwiched? a table topper? runner?
    That'll help you get the feel of it.

As for spraying ... no wait time, just do your assembly and then take it into the machine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    use a walking foot for your stitching if you have one. if not, stitch a bit larger/longer stitch so as not to 'push" your fabric and end up with folds or wrinkles. best of all, have fun!!