Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first memories of Quilts were.... >

My first memories of Quilts were....

My first memories of Quilts were....

Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM

My grandmothers always had quilts. when we all came to visit them; the quilts came out. They were all different kinds. Some were ugly and was made for use as padding. These would be layered for "pallets" for sleeping for the beds where for the adults. with about 8 to 10 kids there would be many "pallets" all over the place. The the tops would have the pretty quilts for the top layers. I would always get the prettiest for I was the Girlie Girl and I wanted to sleep pretty. In the closet where the quilts were stored was always that quilt I never saw used. It was a Double Wedding Ring set in yellow. I always wondered about it. As an adult, was told that the yellow quilt had been made by my great-grand mother for my grandfather's bride. Over the years my grandparents died when I was a kid and the quilt was out of site. then one family reunion the subject turned to quilts and that "yellow quilt" came up. My dad's cousin had gotten prosession of that quilt and when I told her about the history of the quilt, she went home and retrieved the quilt and gave it to me. I now have the quilt my great-grandmother made and one of the pretty quilts my grandmother made. What was your first memories of quilts?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:17 PM

Mine was a GFG with pink paths.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

a 4 patch with muslin/feed sacks and scraps. I have it and it is my favorite. I have it safely put up because it is thread bare. I recently made one very much like it and needs to be quilted. It is next on my to do list
Old 07-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Sleeping under the heavy quilts at my Grandmother's beach house. She used heavy wool blankets for batting. They were all scrappy quilts, and I loved feeling the weight of them on me as I was drifting off to sleep :D:D:D
Old 07-28-2011, 04:39 PM

My first memories of quilts were from my grandma's scrap bag. She made everyone's clothing. When spring came, she would cut out Tulip appliques and tear her muslin to use as her squares. She even had some old feedsacks that she used for the prints. When my grandpa would go raccoon hunting or fox hunting, she would throw some old wool quilts in the back of the car for us kids if we went with him. Simpler life but a good time.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Great subject!

I remember going with my family (4 kids and parents) to a little town "down in the country" to pick up a family quilt when I was about 9 years old. It was memorable because Daddy parked at the curb in a little old town we'd never been to, on a side street, and went up a staircase on the outside of the building to an apartment on the second floor-- that was so strange to me, coming from a single level home on a big lot in a neighborhood.

He came down with a package which he put in the trunk and then we all got to go for an ice cream cone, a special treat for a family of six in those days. It was a long afternoon.

At home they opened the quilt and laid it out on their bedroom floor and oohed and aahed over it. I looked over their should at the brown and tan thing on the fllor and thought, "This is what all the hoopla is about?"

Thirty-five years later I was a quilter with an great interest in textile history, restoration, and mid 1800s quilts. That original quilt was sent to me for keeping and as I studied it and had it appraised several times, I realized I had to give it to the Colonial Williamsburg Textile Museum in Williamsburg VA. They took a brief look at it and pronounced my family quilt a 1780 or earlier Virginia quilt with linen grown in VA and English chintz in it. Someday I will reproduce it and write a book and pattern for iit.

Jan in VA
Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM

my grandma and great grandma made me a twin size quilt witha lot of yellow and my name and age and year embro. on it in 1952 for Christmas. i have a small peice of it left. they also made me a doll quilt. i still have that. wish i still had my big one. i remember picking out my grandmas dresses and aprons inthe quilt.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM

I remember three quilts and a down comforter (made from my grandmother's feather bed). One had pink and blue four patch squares alternating with maybe solid pink. The second was green and yellow stars. And my favorite was the really old double wedding ring quilt with all the tiny pieces of such interesting fabrics. They have all gone the way of quilts used on a daily basis. Someday I do want to make a double wedding ring one with all the tiny pieces. These were maybe an inch wide at the 'fat' end, not the larger 'chunks' I've seen on more modern ones.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 PM

Driving matchbox cars over the GFG pathes on my Grandma's bed. Her mother had made it and it was very special to her.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:22 PM

My mom and grandma quilting a Sunbonnet Girls quilt in the TV room.