Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My first quilt starts friday!!

Well I am going out on friday and buying my essentials to start my first quilt, so I want any input on essentials that you may have I have the list of what I need, but wanted to know if there is anything I should have that makes it easier or that you have found works best. I am soooo excited to start quilting I can hardly stand it! I am going to do a race car quilt for my son as my first I found a pattern from one of the links you ladies posted for me I am just changing up the fabric to make it a race car quilt. Thanks again all!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Most essential items are patience and determination. You WILL make mistakes. Shake them off, rip out the seam and do it again. :)

Make sure you have a self mending mat and a rotary cutter and a quilt ruler.

Just have fun, take your time and most important is...

MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE! :D :D

Post your progress, we wanna see.

Get a Olfa mat the biggest you can afford, a 45mm rotary cutter extra blades, a seam ripper Clover has a good one, long pins, paper and thread cutting scissors. a long and a square ruler, thread. My suggestion is buy the best you can afford. :D :D :D :D

JoAnns has a good sale going. :D

A rotary cutter and mat is important....but if it'syour first quilt or 100th...make sure you have a seam ripper. You will make mistakes but that is part of the adventure of quilting. Just be patient and you will enjoy it so much!

I'm working on my first too! Obviously I don't have the experience that the others do, but I want to add that a can of spray starch is wonderful! After you wash the fabric, starch & iron it - it makes it so easy to piece the fabric together!

Quote Originally Posted by samroberts01
    Well I am going out on friday and buying my essentials to start my first quilt, so I want any input on essentials that you may have I have the list of what I need, but wanted to know if there is anything I should have that makes it easier or that you have found works best. I am soooo excited to start quilting I can hardly stand it! I am going to do a race car quilt for my son as my first I found a pattern from one of the links you ladies posted for me I am just changing up the fabric to make it a race car quilt. Thanks again all!
    Congratulations!!! You will have a wonderful time. And yes, good advice so far.

Good luck to you first time quilters! How exciting! You're going to have so much fun! And promise you don't blame us if this quilting thing takes over your life (and guest room, and closet, under the bed...). It's all worth it! :wink:

Starch twice Cut once.

Thanks all for the tips I am going to start a list. Another question I know I am suppose to pre wash the fabric, but do I starch and iron before I cut?? Or after?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast