Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My foot pedal is haunted.  Help! >

My foot pedal is haunted. Help!

My foot pedal is haunted. Help!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 AM

I have a Janome DC3050, the machine keeps going on its own. I have to turn it off to stop it, then sometimes it starts without my touching it. The first time it did it I almost jumped out of my skin. Has anybody else had this problem with the Janome foot pedal? I went on line and they run from $70 to $90 dollars for the exact same pedal but I don't want to buy another one that might be haunted. Any suggestions?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 AM

Clean it good and check your wiring and make sure its plugged in tightly. Sometimes it will do that to me if it has slid 1/2 way out. If you have a problen with the wire, don't buy a new one have a small appliance man fix it. Cost about $10.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM

This probelm was actually discussed on another thread a while back. You might try the Search function to find it -- probably lots of good suggestions there. Your machine is part of a "group" haunting!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM

The contacts inside the foot pedal are dirty and need to be cleaned. My Bernina 1031 had this problem. My technician opened the pedal and took a pencil eraser and rubbed it all over the metal contacts inside and then put the pedal back together. No problems anymore.
My dd was using my machine and said it was possessed. I understand completely. :shock: :-D
Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Others have had this problem too, usually cleaning the foot pedal will take care of the problem. Things can work themselves inside, and cause issues like this :D:D:D

If it's haunted? Bury it and buy a new one :wink:
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 AM

I've had Janome(s) for years and never had a problem. If however to do replace the foot pedal, I'd love to have your old one. I am in need of a new "plug". I tried getting one at the electronics store but it doesn't fit - the plug is the right size but the plastic part won't allow it to go in far enough.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
The contacts inside the foot pedal are dirty and need to be cleaned. My Bernina 1031 had this problem. My technician opened the pedal and took a pencil eraser and rubbed it all over the metal contacts inside and then put the pedal back together. No problems anymore.
My dd was using my machine and said it was possessed. I understand completely. :shock: :-D
I have cleaned it inside but never though to use an eraser I will try it, thanks.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I've had Janome(s) for years and never had a problem. If however to do replace the foot pedal, I'd love to have your old one. I am in need of a new "plug". I tried getting one at the electronics store but it doesn't fit - the plug is the right size but the plastic part won't allow it to go in far enough.
I will make a note and if I get a new one you are welcome to the old one. The plug is just a very simple one, the kind that you can get at radio shack with the single insert. Is this really the one you need? I'm kind of surprised you can't find a replacement.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S
I have a Janome DC3050, the machine keeps going on its own. I have to turn it off to stop it, then sometimes it starts without my touching it. The first time it did it I almost jumped out of my skin. Has anybody else had this problem with the Janome foot pedal? I went on line and they run from $70 to $90 dollars for the exact same pedal but I don't want to buy another one that might be haunted. Any suggestions?
I had the same problem with my janome some time ago. had it checked and it was a spring in the pedal, they tried to order just the spring but they wouldn't sell just the spring had to buy the whole pedal. What a rip off
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM

I tried the eraser method and it worked. I don't know whether it is fixed for ever but right now it is working. When I looked sideways at the path the contacts followed I could see some residue, the eraser removed it. Thanks for the help. I may have just saved $80.

Janet, sorry about the cost. Unfortunatly we do live in a throw away society. Hate to think about adding to the land fill.