Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My husband may just..... >

My husband may just.....

My husband may just.....

Old 03-17-2010, 07:40 AM

shoot me. (not really but he wont be as amused as I was when my mother gave me this!)

I was helping my mother move and in the process we found the very first Christmas gift that she got from my dad. A sewing machine. It is nothing fancy no bells and whistles, not a treadle, or featherweight but special to me just the same. I remember my mom sitting at the kitchen table sewing 95% of our clothes when we were younger. She told me that as long as I promised not to get rid of it I could have it!

It needs cleaned, a tune up, and the foot pedal wire replaced. But I think it could work great. I think she has had the foot pedal wire fixed about 3 times and its getting a little short hopefully they can still do something with it without making it shorter! lol

I don't have any feet or anything to go with it and I am thinking that it might be missing the table (not extenstion) that goes around it. but that part I cant remember.

The front of the machine says 'Western Reg. U.S. Pat.' and on the back there is a tag/label that says ' Model 793FA Manufactured by Janome Sewing Machine Co. LLC.'
I have googled and I am still looking for information and ANY information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Danielle
Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Your husband won't shoot you. There must be some "useless" stuff of his you can point out. If that doesn't work, remind him that if he shoots you he will become a single parent! That scares them every time! :)
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM

Wow what a gift. Happy for you.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:45 AM

It's a family heirloom! I hope it is around to be passed down to your daughter someday.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Your husband won't shoot you. There must be some "useless" stuff of his you can point out. If that doesn't work, remind him that if he shoots you he will become a single parent! That scares them every time! :)
lol
Old 03-17-2010, 07:56 AM

Have tried contacting Janome...they maybe able to send you in the right direction.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
HAHA your right, like his golf clubs. lol
No I know he won't shoot me, he just doesn't understand that I need more than one machine. But I don't understand why he needs 14 (REALLY expensive) clubs in his bag at any given time! and a special pair of (expensive) shoes to play. That does not include his ball collection that he wants to hang in the

Originally Posted by Karen
Have tried contacting Janome...they maybe able to send you in the right direction.
As a matter of fact I have not maybe that will be on my list of places to call today! That is actually a great idea. Thank you!

Now to find a repair man. I have never had my little brother in for anything. I know I will need to get my "big brother" in one of these days but I haven't had it long I wonder if the place where I got "big brother" at will take care of the Janome! hmmm, maybe another phone call.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

What a wonderful find. A family heirloom. And it brings back such wonderful memories. I'm sure he will understand.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 AM

What a great find. I think a local sewing machine repairman could easily rewire the foot pedal. They usually work on many brands of sewing machines.
Also, the suggestion to contact Janome is a good one. They should be able to date your machine, and may have information about accessories that will fit it as well.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:19 AM

What a nice gift!! I have the old singer my mom bought used when I was born, but it has been packed in a box for 22 years and I have not seen it since. It's somewhere in the garage. I don't have room to put it out at my house.