Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is my idea too selfish? >

Is my idea too selfish?

Is my idea too selfish?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 AM

Maybe there was a reason why your grandmother never mailed this last box to you. You would have probably already made the blocks into a donation quilt and passed it on; now, however, you have her last box and have this opportunity to make something for you to cherish and remember what a lovely person she was. IMHO I feel she would want you to keep these blocks for yourself and her loved ones.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:39 AM

I think things happen for a reason. Maybe she never got around to mailing them because you were meant to keep them
Old 05-20-2014, 02:43 AM

Not at all selfish. I think Auntie V has it right. Cherish that last box of blocks. I would love to have something my grandmother pieced.
Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
First I want to say that you are not being selfish. Make your quilt and the gifts for the others. Name your quilt Grandmother's Legacy and offer to teach any of the others how to quilt. Your Grandmother passed along her talent and love of quilting to you. Now it is your turn to pass that along to another generation. To me this is a way to use her last package to you and pass along what she has already passed along to you.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

i agree with the others... not selfish. making remembrance quilts is an unselfish act. if you still feel conflicted, use some of your stash that would not normally be for charity quilts to 'replace' her scraps... then her intentions to make charity quilts will still be satisfied.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I will start this by saying I am a grandmother, who just recently lost her grandmother. (Yes, that is 5 generations) This is the grandmother who taught me to sew, and to love fabric. My aunt called today when she returned from Montana, where she had to go clean out grandma's house, to tell me she found a big brown paper bag full of squares that grandma had cut and set aside to send to me, but had never taken it to the mail for whatever reason. (Grandma would send me her scraps, cut into squares, for me to use in charity quilts.) My aunt has the scraps at her home in WA for me. Yippee!

This is where the selfish comes in. All of the other scraps have gone into charity quilts, but I want to use these scraps to make myself a lap quilt and to make other gifts for her other grandchildren, as a remembrance. Do you think it would be wrong to use her "charity" scraps this way? I am really torn and would love to hear your thoughts on this.
No. This is the last thing you will ever have that she made for you, she would be happy that you made it into something for yourself. The circumstances changed. Enjoy.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:37 AM
Power Poster

Sorry you have lost your granny. It is not selfish at all to use those scraps for yourself. You can always do some charity quilts from YOUR scraps and donate them in her name.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

I too don't think this is selfish of you. You are going to make something for your grand kids. My Grandmother taught me how to play solitaire and sew. She was not a quilter but her half sister was and she showed me her passion for quilting.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

I agree with everyone else. Not a selfish thing at all. She left you an opportunity to remember her, so do that!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:20 AM

This was a gift from your grandmother to you so it is right to cherish it and pass it on to your grandchildren after you have enjoyed it for years. Absolutely not intended to give away to strangers. You do so much already, your deserve to keep this and feel close to the person who wanted you to have it!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:01 AM

Not selfish at all! This was probably meant to be a gift to you from Grandma...
I have been cleaning out my Aunt's home for the last year....I find a treasure almost every time I work there.