Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my ideal quilting classmate - >

my ideal quilting classmate -

my ideal quilting classmate -

Old 03-04-2015, 01:54 PM

...knows how to fill a bobbin on her own machine...
Old 03-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

When I go to my next class, I'm hoping I have everything I need. Have made a list and put into a special tool box with extra items to go with it. My rotary cutter has extra blades. Ihave extra machine needles and a couple threaders and thread and bobbins. My iron is small and always ready, lint roller. Other items also. couple extra pair of scissors. ANd my manual. I keep it for the portable in my machine carrier. Hand needles and grips for the fingers. I dislike when I'm trying to hear the instructor to have someone talking to me. Since my right ear is my bad ear, I try to sit at the very end of the left side of the table but as close as I can get to the instructor. That way I can tell people that I can't hear out of my right ear. then they just talk to the one on the other side of them. and Iwon't go to Hades for lying. I really don't hear out of my right ear (maybe 5%).
Old 03-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I also want my classmates to have the skill level needed for the class being taught. I am all for stretching one's skills - but I don't think it's fair to the rest of the group if the class would be something like advanced baltimore beauty applique and the person doesn't know how to thread a needle yet.

On the other hand, if the class is below your skill level - just enjoy it and let the instructor do his/her thing. If you want to be helpful to your classmates, do whatever the same way the instructor is doing it.

Something to add to the tool kit. Nail clipper and nail file.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:13 PM

What I loved about my first quilting class was that we were all truly beginners in a class that was for beginners! I probably would have never gotten into quilting if it had been one of those "beginner" classes where everyone else already new everything and just came to class to confirm that We were equally slow and the instructor was so determined to teach us that sometimes she stayed a little longer and added another day at the end. Excellent!
Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 PM

I agree with you all...a good learning environment is so important. Some of the classes I've taken are challenging to me and require a lot of concentration and attention to the teacher. Fortunately I've always had great luck with great teachers and classmates.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
I am going to my first quilt class at the end of the month and will try very hard to be the ideal classmate.
How exciting for you... I hope you enjoy the experience.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 AM

I really would like to take a quilt class where there are no drama queens and no chatter boxes. If you don't know how to use your machine, please learn how before class! Don't rely on your classmates or the teacher.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:41 AM

Enjoy the class. That is what you really need to do besides listen and pay attention.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:49 AM

Also bring along a "long" extension cord and a power strip especially if you have your class in a room other than a home ex room. My quilting quilt has a sew day usually once a year and we get together in a church basement. It's an older church and has limited outlets. Also bring along a 3 prong outlet adapter for use in older buildings. I try to go off in a space where I'm not right in the middle of things so it is quieter and more productive for me. But since I am the only one who remembers a power strip and extension cord I usually have lots of company - funny, and that's OK as I enjoy the company too. Enjoy!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I am with you. I am not as smart or talented as many quilters so I really have to pay attention.