Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new baby!  Juki TL-2010Q >

My new baby! Juki TL-2010Q

My new baby! Juki TL-2010Q

Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 AM

Default My new baby! Juki TL-2010Q

I picked up my new baby, a Juki TL-2010Q, on Thursday. All I can say is WOW! Thursday night and Friday night I just played and tinkered with things. Saturday, I finished quilting a small quilt that I had started quilting on my Viking Sapphire. Although they have a similar harp width, the Juki has a larger opening and less bulk in the needle area, so it's easier to see where you are going. It's so FAST! It's taken some practice to get the change in my hand movement speed to the speed of the Juki. But I think it will be a very short learning curve for me, so I was willing to brave it and finish the quilt I started on the Viking. I haven't tested out all of the accessories, but will be trying out the walking foot later when I put the binding on the quilt. The best thing is that the tension has been perfect from the start! I have not had to adjust it at all!

I bought this machine sight unseen because there isn't a Juki dealer near me. I was asking my repair guy about this and the Brother that looks identical to it. He highly recommended the Juki because of the quality (metal parts, not plastic). He said they require very little maintenance and have a reputation as a quality machine. He offered to order it for me, so I took him up on it. If I need help with it, he's always there for me. He's a great repair guy!

I haven't named her yet... still thinking on that one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402246[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails juki-tl-2010q.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 AM

Congrats ! She looks lovely. Happy sewing and I hope you have a long and happy friendship!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM

Congratulations! I bought mine a year and a half ago and love it. I have yet to do much FMQing - still on the learning curve, but piecing with it is great. Have fun with yours!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

congrats.. looks terrific. i've had my Juki TL98Q for years and it has not needed any outside maintenance. I just clean out the bottom with an artist brush and oil it once in a while.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:29 AM

I bought a new to me Juki TL98Q from a quilting buddy who had barely used it in mid January. I have finished ten quilts (4 full sized/queen, 2 single and 4 crib/lap) and am now working on number 11 a very old UFO from the 1970's. I absolutely love this machine but there are no dealers in Southern Ontario either. Why not? This is a fantastic machine for home quilters who just want to stitch and not endlessly play with tension, thread issues and poor stitches. I also used this machine to replace a heavy zipper in my son's insulated coveralls and it handled that without one groan, growl or broken needle! I am in love!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I too have a Viking Sapphire and have been looking at the same machine that you have. I was wondering if the harp area was much different and you answered the question for me. I hope that you have lots of fun with your new machine
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your new machine!!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 AM

There's nothing like a new machine for fun sewing. Enjoy her, she's a beauty!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by carslo View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I too have a Viking Sapphire and have been looking at the same machine that you have. I was wondering if the harp area was much different and you answered the question for me. I hope that you have lots of fun with your new machine
One thing I wondered about was if there was a noticeable difference in the two. There really is. The Juki is about 1-1/4" higher inside and wider at the top. Maybe a side by side comparison will help you see.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]402284[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails juki-viking-comparison.png  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 AM

I sew with a Brother 1500 and just bought a Baby Lock Jane....the 3 machines are almost identical!!!!! You will LOVE yours......she might only go forward and backwards but she will do it perfect all the time!! And she will sew through anything from silk to blue jean fabric and never miss a stitch. BE SURE to keep her oiled!!!!