Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My New Best Buddy >

My New Best Buddy

My New Best Buddy

Old 02-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Default My New Best Buddy

I just needed to take a break after sewing 20 pieces wrong on my French Braid/Friendship baby quilt that I am sewing for my GGD who is scheduled to arrive in mid March.

Everything was going along so well until I got a bit "cocky" and thought I didn't need to check that my pieces were configured correctly. Big mistake! Last row and I sewed 20 wrong before I realized I had made a mistake.

1st photo is a shot of my sewing room with my design wall holding part of my quilt and the 2nd photo is a shot of my new "best buddy" and the pieces that I had to rip out. There is an old saying, "They don't know how long it took you they only know how it looks!" I do have a deadline here and needed to be more careful. Anyway, I am so grateful that I have my "best buddy". It made this job tolerable. I am sure that most of you have one. If not, now is the time to get one. Using the top piece that goes over the seam ripper like an eraser, it pulls out all the little threads after you rip out the seam. Saves a huge amount of time and frustration. Bought mine on line but have seen them in the LQSs. I need to lock this baby away so no one decides to use it and misplace it. )

Thanks for listening - again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]393698[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]393700[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sewing-room.jpg   my-best-buddy.jpg  
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Very pretty colors. Baby and mother will love it!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

i guess it's better than finishing the whole row wrong. sorry you had to frog it. it looks lovely so far.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

I use my ripper alot also. Your quilt will be gorgeous. Please show us when done.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:12 PM

I have that same style best buddy. I like that I can easily find it and that it has a good secure top.

I wish I could remember all the errors I have made. Luckily, I can't, so I won't tell on me or you. It is the finished results that count and whether you had 'fun' doing it.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

I purchased one just like that recently! Have not used it yet. Sorry you had to rip out so much!! Your sewing room is beautiful!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM

I love your color choices!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 AM

I love the colors - your quilt is going to be beautiful and I also like your sewing room
Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 AM

I am working on a top for my grandson's new Big Boy Bed. Deadline March 2. Got the entire top pieced, THEN realized that entire section had been put in sideways. I tried really hard to leave it that way, but I just couldn't. A block with sharks was swimming wrong, two similar blocks were next to each other, and the frame around each block was wrong - the pieces are not all the same size so it messed up the overall pattern. Pooey, pooey, pooey. I had planned to spend yesterday sandwiching and starting to quilt, but instead spent it ripping and resewing.

My best friend is an electric ripper. Love it! http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...l-t173190.html

Thanks for the tip on this ripper - I have seen it but haven't picked one up yet.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 AM

Hi, I was given this ripper for a Christmas present and it is wonderful -- it is also very sharp! (or else I hadn't realised how blunt my older, smaller rippers are). Anyway, I was ripping away at some stitches and marvelling how quickly and easily it cut through the threads, and found I had also sliced through the fabric. So all the time I saved using a wonderful sharp ripper will be more than lost by sewing a patch over the ripped fabric. So take care!