Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My New Cheapy Iron... >

My New Cheapy Iron...

My New Cheapy Iron...

Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM

Cool My New Cheapy Iron...

My old, standard-size iron has been wearing out for some time now. The Teflon is now peeling, the tip has a dent in it and I'm never sure whether the temp is on HOT, or COLD. It's latest breakdown was the spray nozzle. I pressed the sprayer and POOOT...out shot the nozzle from the iron, soaring past the cat and landing clear across the room! (The cat's still not over it.)

So, off I went shopping and I found this cute, little iron at the bog-box, discount store that starts with a "W." It was only $6.97. Surely, this thing won't last a day, I thought. What a piece of carp! But I'm a cheap gambler, so I bought it anyway and set it up at my quilting table.

I've been using it a week now and I have to say, it's a pretty nice li'l iron. It's light weight, which I think is wonderful. I especially think so, after pressing a gazillion blocks that each have a multitude of seams. Ahhh...My arm is NOT falling off. The iron has a spray feature, (with a nozzle that is molded into the body, thank Gawd,) a steam feature that can be turned on and off, a Teflon coated plate, a clear, see-thru, water storage, plus, it's small, so it can get into those intricate seams and points...not to mention it could be a great travel buddy. Now, maybe it won't last as long as a Rowenta, but hey... just think of how many of these cheapy irons I could buy for the price of one fancy iron!

Anyway, check it out. It's the "Lightweight Iron," made by RIVAL.

~ Cindy
Old 05-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

thanks, I will look. I am not in love with my Shark one. it's ok but takes awhile to get up steam and then most of it is lost when I set the iron upright. my Rowenta blew out my power cord so I trashed it.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

i almost always get my irons there. i've been happy with them. and i don't feel badly if they don't last that long... but they usually last long enough.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 PM

The iron I'm using now came from a garage sale, and my backup also came from a garage sale. So I'm not out much money on either one, but I do like the one I'm using right now, it's a sunbeam.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:01 PM

I think I have the same iron .. and it a pretty nice little unit! Like you said light weight and keeps my carpal tunnel from flaring. After spending big $$ on two Rowenta's I gave up .
Old 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM

I don't spend a lot on my irons either - to me the secret is in the water - I use 1/2 distilled and 1/2 tap water. None of my irons spit or leave deposits. Isn't it nice to find something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM

That's a good price. I used to use a travel iron, but it seemed to stay so hot all the time. I preferred my big iron, but that took so long to heat up. So if I used the travel iron, I'd have to keep turning it off, although it did heat up quickly. Let us know if this one doesn't stay too hot.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM

I read somewhere last week that you are NOT supposed to turn your steam on until the iron is completely hot. It made sense to me. (heating iron/cold water) Keeps it from spitting. So, that's what I've been doing & have not had a problem since. I too, like the cheapy irons. I bought one at the $ store that doesn't have the auto shutoff. I think I paid $7 or $8 dollars for it. I have a bigger, little more expensive one, that I bought at Wally World but, I don't care for it. To heavy & has the auto shutoff. It makes a good door stop. LOL!!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 PM

You may have to wash your hands after using it. Almost all the irons there come from China, and many have a warning in print so fine it almost doesn't look like letters, but like a dark line, saying something like: "Wash hands after using due to lead content in the cord."
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM

If the iron was made in the past couple of years, there shouldn't be in lead content in it. The US and Europe have to many regulations going on that China has to be compliant to. I purchase parts from China and US vendors for a major manufacturing company and they have to meet these regulations.