Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My new project

Blog Entries

My new project

I've changed my avatar. I've fallen in love with the Dresden Plate block, so my avatar reflects the new quilt I've started. I am hand-appliqueing the plate onto alternating white and cream-colored paisley fabric. I wasn't able to get 12.5 inch blocks out of the fabric I had, so I made an executive decision to cut them at 12 inches. Worked out just fine.

So far I have 6 done. I'm aiming for 30. I really love this project. Precision cutting, followed by precision sewing, and finally hand sewing in front of the TV. What a great variety.

Blog Entries
    I love that pattern as well. I made one for a friend that has 2 sizes of plates scattered all over it. The top was just one whole piece. It was so nice to make..I did it all by hand and was thrilled with the outcome.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    Wow, love the purple dresdens. Very pretty.

Great projects -- Dresden plates. I got into it several years ago and made a bunch of things. I sewed mine down by machine (when I did the smaller pieces) or left them with the pointed ends. However, I created strata and made pieced blades -- then made Christmas tree skirts (left the hole open), table toppers, etc. A quarter of a Dresden plate is a fan -- and a half made a nice runner on my hall table until someone wanted it.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    it's nice to expand our horizons... love the avatar
    Nancy in western NY

I love purple but haven't made any Dresden Plate blocks, yet. Be sure to post a photo when finished.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I'm with you 100 % Carol....i love the Dresden plate - pointy - not rounded - edges. Great for hand work only or as a combo of machine and hand....do you use the fold and straight stitch method for creating the points? Love that ! So versatile - as QuiltnLady1 said....and they make great flowers too. We'll be looking forward to seeing the finished product!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

I want to make one. I made an Aster quilt for oldest Daughter years ago. I think the dresden is a lot like it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty, can't wait to see the quilt.
    Joyce

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    I love that pattern as well. I made one for a friend that has 2 sizes of plates scattered all over it. The top was just one whole piece. It was so nice to make..I did it all by hand and was thrilled with the outcome.
    Oh, that does sound lovely. Have you posted a picture somewhere? I'd love to see it. The more I get into quilting, and I'm in it pretty deeply now, the more I love the traditional patterns and hand work. Imagine having to make quilts for the solely utilitarian purposes and not just because we love them. Our ancestors have my utmost respect.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast