Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my new rotary cutter

Thanks to each of you who guided me to the purchase of the Harbor Freight rotary cutter. Now that I have it, I am unable to figure out how to use it!!!!!!!!! It seems to be meant for a thickcarpet that you insert where the blade is, not for a single piece of fabric. What am I doing incorrectly? How do I get the cutter to cut? Phyllis Carol

Does anyone know of any quilting resources in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, New Mexico? I am also interested in beading. Thanks. Phyllis Carol

It's not a rotary cutter. You'll need to buy a rotary cutter. What everyone has been recommending is the BLADES not the cutter itself.

i used the blades in my olfa cutter, i do not use their cutter

Blog Entries
    You need a regular fabric cutter to use the HF blades.

they have a great quilting community in Albuquerque..I visited a couple of great stores while I was there last year. One is toward the east end of town (I think) and a friend of mine teaches there and does a lot of their display quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis Carol
    Does anyone know of any quilting resources in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, New Mexico? I am also interested in beading. Thanks. Phyllis Carol drpcsk@comcast.net

The recommendation wasn't for the HF carpet cutter, but for the replacement blades, which fit most of the 45 mm rotary cutters (Fiskars, Olfa, etc.). I looked at the cutter, and I don't see how it would work for fabric.

I was in Albuquerque and in Santa Fe a couple years ago, and went to at least 3 shops in the Albuquerque area and one in Santa Fe.

If you go online, try Sew Thankful, which is an online shop, I think in Las Cruces.

http://www.swdecoratives.com/
    http://www.quiltworksabq.com/
    http://www.annsilvasbernina.com/

SANTA FE QUILTING
    3018 A CIELO COURT, SANTA FE, NM, 87507, USA
    PH: (505) 473-3747

Phyllis,
    You need a rotary cutter that is sold in quilting or crafting stores such as JoAnn's, Walmarts, or your local quilting stores. What is recommended from Harbor Freight are just the circular blades that fit into the rotary cutters. Here are some videos that give you some idea of what they are, and how to use them.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=r...e=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=hDyvTNvNOIGKlwfIvt2NBQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=7&ved=0CF4QqwQwBg&fp=9f2370386c77b788

Word of warning .... please be careful with them. They are sharp as razor blades. :-)

You need to put the round blade into a Olfa 45 degree rotary cutter and get rid of the plastic holder that came with the blades.
    The round blades will cut through 6 pieces of fabric with no problem.

You need to put the round blade into a Olfa 45 degree rotary cutter and get rid of the plastic holder that came with the blades.
    The round blades will cut through 6 pieces of fabric with no problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast