Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL >

My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL

My New Sewing Machine a Singer 15 NL

Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

I hope you did not pay too much. If it has not been used alot and it works it should give you years of pleasure. Enjoy! Don't feel bad. I would not consider it a piece of junk by any means. It is very usuable. I think these are used over in third world countries and they make many of the purses and clothing on it for designers. If they can do that I am sure they are suitable for quilting or patching.

Originally Posted by prairie_girl
The ad said 'replica' of the original Singer but I guess I didn't "see" that and I certainly didn't think it was made in China, I thought it was a real Singer. I should have done more research before I bought it. Certainly won't do this again!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Don't despair yet! Here is a link to website showing different Singer decals. That looks just like the one called the Sphinx or Egyptian. I would check a little further before being so dismayed!

http://treadleon.net/oldtreadleonia/...ls/decals.html
Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 PM

look at it this way, it's fairly new, and if it's a true replica - meaning made with METAL gears, it will last as long as you do!
which is a whole lot better than a plastic piece of junk...
Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 PM

You liked it before you knew it was a rep, right? ;) :)

Look at it this way. You have a machine that you don't have to worry about the decals on, and you can sew your heart out on it!
Keep looking...you'll get the vintage machine you want, at the price you want. They're out there...and at least one of them has your name on it! :)
Old 08-20-2011, 05:17 AM

Thank you guys, you are so awesome! It does have all metal parts to it and it is very pretty. I don't think it has ever been used at all. I'm going to keep it and do some sewing on it for fun, while I wait for my vintage to come along. You have made me feel a lot better about it and it was less than 100 dollars.

Thank you! :-)
Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

It's a pretty machine.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:47 AM

I bought this Singer 15 NL machine, too, but the funny thing is bought it *in Taiwan*. I talked to the shop's owners before buying and they assured me that Singer had a factory here years ago and the machine is legit. (They've been in business for about 60 years and were open during Taiwan's textile heyday.) My machine was made in the late 70s (the booklet that came with it is dated '73).

I'm not singing the machine's praises though! It's terribly loud. And tonight I broke a needle and now I can't get the stupid bobbin to catch. Argh.

By the way, Taiwan isn't China and "Made in Taiwan" means something very different than "Made in China".
Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM

I have one of these Machines... I picked mine up for $40 from an old lady from Taiwan that had it for 15 years. Knowing it is a replica I still have a lot of fun with it. I got a great looking machine that works really well and I didn't break the bank...
Old 02-04-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 702marine View Post
I have one of these Machines... I picked mine up for $40 from an old lady from Taiwan that had it for 15 years. Knowing it is a replica I still have a lot of fun with it. I got a great looking machine that works really well and I didn't break the bank...
That would be the important part, being happy with the machine!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by prairie_girl View Post
Thank you guys, you are so awesome! It does have all metal parts to it and it is very pretty. I don't think it has ever been used at all. I'm going to keep it and do some sewing on it for fun, while I wait for my vintage to come along. You have made me feel a lot better about it and it was less than 100 dollars.

Thank you! :-)
It's beautiful, has all metal parts, What's not ta like????