Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My New Years resolution: make a double wedding ring quilt >

My New Years resolution: make a double wedding ring quilt

My New Years resolution: make a double wedding ring quilt

Old 11-26-2010, 02:07 PM

My love for quilts sprouted in a thrift store when I was 12. I spotted a worn out double wedding ring in blue, yellow and white. I begged my mom to buy it for me and she just gave me the strangest look. I did not get it but she did tell me the name of the pattern. I swore I would one day have a quilt like that. When I was 15, I met a woman who came into my family's coffee shop everyday who was a quilter. One day while we were talking I told her about my thrift store quilt my mom refused to buy me and she offered to help me make my own. She passed away two days after that. Every time I look at a wedding ring quilt I think about her and her kind offer to teach me how to quilt.

I am a newbie and have only finished a couple of quilts but with the help from everyone in this board, I feel that I may be brave enough to take this on. I plan on making it for my queen bed and hand quilting it. My goal is to finish it in a year. Starting Jan 1st. Do any of you make quilting resolutions?

Any tips would be very helpful for my journey would be very helpful. Do you use a template? If so what is your favorite? Is quiltsmart printed interfacing worth the money? How in the world so some of them piece their fabric to give the fading look? Im sure I will have many more questions.
Thank You
Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Wow...what a wonderful goal!!! And you will think of that kind lady throughout the process. We will all be watching your progress and cheering you on. :)

Patti
Old 11-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Different shades of the same color will make the rings have the "fading" look... you can play with the directions you wish them to go. Putting all of the darker pieces on the ends of the rows may even give you a secondary design :D:D:D

I would suggest starting out with some scrap fabric and practice the piecing first. It make take you a few attempts to get the curved piecing down :wink: You can even buy some cheaper muslin to practice with.

Using the printed interfacing will make it easier, as you have more leeway with the piecing.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Good goal and I hope you will be able to make it. No tips, I have not made one, doubt I will. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:19 PM

Spring - you will probably get a lot of advice from many of us.

I started my own DWR some months back, and after a brief illness (or 2) I'm getting back into it. What I would suggest is this...

There are LOTS of different templates and tools on the market. There can be slight differences that can make a big difference to the overall look. For example some are squarer rather than round shapes. Some have squarish central points, rather than diamonds. Some waste a lot of fabric. Some arches are pieced, and some appliqued... The variety really goes on and on.

Google images, blogs and other image sites, e.g. Webshots etc. Check out the commentary and looks of the templates that others have used - find what you prefer (style and color).

I am using Marti Michell's templates. The instructions are better than I imaged.

Choose your color scheme well even with a scrappy look - you may decided to be cohesive at your central points. Ccheck out images on Google for inspiration.

I don't think DWR's are that hard. Time consuming YES! But with a bit of patience and perseverance you can do it.

I'm hand quilting mine too :) (Well I will when I get there). Mine will also be Queen size.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 PM
bj

I think Patrice has a tutorial on this site with templates. Try searching around in the tutorials.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:53 PM

There is a free pattern on http://www.connectingthreads.com
Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 PM

Cheryl Phillips' method in her book, "The Rings That Bind" is a good reference to make a faux Wedding Ring quilt. You sew strips together and then use her template to cut out the ring. It saves a lot of piecing and still has a similar appearance - you may enjoy it.

http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv/?dlink..._That_Bind.flv

http://www.phillipsfiberart.com/video_gallery/
Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 PM

I have made several, definitely use templates. Great way to use scraps for an old-fashioned look.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:28 PM

thank you all for all the helpful links. I had no idea I had so many choices...lol