Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My next lap quilt to finish. Batik strips. How much quilting should I do. >

My next lap quilt to finish. Batik strips. How much quilting should I do.

My next lap quilt to finish. Batik strips. How much quilting should I do.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Default My next lap quilt to finish. Batik strips. How much quilting should I do.

I have put together several quilts in the past couple of years but not very good at " quilting" . I need to know how " little" quilting I can get away with on this one. Batik top and bottom. 70/30 batting. My binding will be a continuous one made of various top fabrics.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]521736[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 18176211316_75d26df202_z.jpg  
Old 06-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Power Poster

Your batting choice dictates the amount of quilting required. Some battings need to be quilted every 2" ( pretty dense all over quilting) while others allow up to 10" between quilting lines and everything in between. Read the packaging and choose a batting that allows the distance you want. Warm & natural is one that allows up to 10" between quilting lines and is a popular choice.
The (70/30) batting you stated should state how close you need to quilt. The Hobbs one I have requires every 4". You don't say what brand yours is.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:43 AM
Power Poster

Pretty quilt be sure and show us when you finish quilting. BrendaK
Old 06-07-2015, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

Yes, check the batting requirements. You could do straight line quilting in different directions in each section for a modern look or you could use each square for a different FMQ design.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:36 AM

As other said, the type of batting dictates the density of the quilting---it should say on the package. Straight line or wavy line quilting with your walking foot would look great and goes very fast. Nice quilt!!
Old 06-07-2015, 04:15 AM

Your quilt would have a very modern look if you used straight line quilting designs in each square and the quilt would be easy to handle. Too little quilting would make it look 'empty'. There are lots of examples of straight line designs in magazines and Pinterest.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:40 AM

I agree, if you do some straight line quilting it will look great and be an easy way to finish it quickly. Nice quilt!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

I would crosshatch the quilt. Get some blue painter's tape and mark out the grid. Found lots of helpful hints here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cros...tching+a+quilt
Old 06-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Yes, check the batting requirements. You could do straight line quilting in different directions in each section for a modern look or you could use each square for a different FMQ design.
Crazy thing is I used Hobbs on the last one and while awaiting backing fabric for this one. I finished the other. I know I bought Soft and Crafty on one ( must be this one I am guessing) its 80/20 and needs every 2-4 inches. How do you all remember what batting you used - sometimes I buy it at JoAnn is not enough time to wait for internet delivery. I save the bag but then matching to right quilt- mmm. So I will do the 2-4 and the straight lines in different directions sounds cool for this one I think. I have not sewn batik before but will use my walking foot - hope it behaves.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:39 PM

I have been doing straight line quilting on a few of my big table mats and I love the way it looks. I only have a DS machine. Do a search for straight line quilting.My last one I had some embroidery in the squares,I went over them with the quilting,worked out great.And I fretted a long time wondering how I was going to quilt them blocks.Best wishes, on your choice.